Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 W124 300e

The old girl tends to go through some fuel............Looking at options that may improve fuel economy but also possibly boost power.

wondering if anybody has made any recent mods that may have lead to either of the above...Through headers, exhaust, etc

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
There's really nothing to be done, other than proper tire inflation, making sure the engine is in tune (clean air filter, cap, plugs wire in good condition), and appropriate driving habits. My old '87 300E got 20-22 around town, and 25-27 on the highway. You can't ask for more than that on one of these.

Chief

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Swapping out to EFI helps...what kind of driving do you typically do?? If a lot of highway you can change your diff ratio out for something numerically lower..

High flow cats can help w/ efficiency as well.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
a guy i met said that he swapped out his diff for one from a 420 and he gets 32mpg.

otherwise the normal tires, tuneup, take all the excess crap out your car etc stuff works.

most importantly, moderate your driving habits.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
From which 420? If it was a W140 420 that's a 2.82, 126 2.47... I have to say 32mpg sounds like a Best case scenario.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
he also said that he had first gear start on his car.

i really should have pressed him for more details, but he wasnt very clear about what he was talking about it. you know when people sound like they know something, but then when you dig deeper, the substance seems to be lacking but its still credible? yeah, like that.

i think he meant the 2.24 from the W124 400E. IIRC he said he was spinning 2400rpm at 80mph with 205/ 55- 16 tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I DO know people like that! Well described.

Hate 'Em ... Posers.
yeah... in Spain ., some people put a longer diff group , and -apparently - they manage better mileage. Still can't believe it much .. but ...

also .. -even that this sounds stupid as hell- , by thightening the spring which forces back the throttle pedal , you will improve your mileage ,as you will push -inknowingly- less the throttle . Believe or not , but I ve seen it working

or swapping to a diesel :(
or swapping to a smaller engine

other than that , or a fresh engine service , there's nothing you can do sort of increasing the engine compression ratio -and this is a really bad idea-

Javier

www.spannerheads.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
make sure you aren't running platnum plugs in the car.. you will get horrible gas millage go with NGK
What's this about? NGK what? I saw in the Mercedes Performance Catalog, a 'yearly tuneup kit' that included copper plugs.

Mercedes Parts and Accessories – Mercedes Wheels, Car Covers, Floor Mats, Steering Wheels and More from Performance Products

I've always put platinum (not double platinum) plugs in nearly every car I've owned, and every car that gets plugs at my service shop, and have not had any problems.

I am new to Mercedes, so I would like some opinions on which plugs to put in my (new to me) 1990 300ce twin cam motor.

It runs perfect now, and gets 17-21mpg. I don't take off fast (like I do in my Toyota Supra), but I do go 70-98mph on the hwys fo long stretches.

Its all stock except a K&N air filter, and a new Magnaflow performance Cat Converter.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i just drove from burbank, california to anthem, arizona. 405 miles. avg 31mpg.

but i was driving slow.
That sure is a good mileage!! :bowdown:

My M111 220E (4spd auto) just "drank" 8,5 L for each 100kms in a 350 kms trip, going on an average of 130 kms/h (3500 rpms :( )

Those 8,5L/100km were on LPG... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's this about? NGK what? I saw in the Mercedes Performance Catalog, a 'yearly tuneup kit' that included copper plugs.

Mercedes Parts and Accessories – Mercedes Wheels, Car Covers, Floor Mats, Steering Wheels and More from Performance Products

I've always put platinum (not double platinum) plugs in nearly every car I've owned, and every car that gets plugs at my service shop, and have not had any problems.

I am new to Mercedes, so I would like some opinions on which plugs to put in my (new to me) 1990 300ce twin cam motor.

It runs perfect now, and gets 17-21mpg. I don't take off fast (like I do in my Toyota Supra), but I do go 70-98mph on the hwys fo long stretches.

Its all stock except a K&N air filter, and a new Magnaflow performance Cat Converter.
Just stick to original spark plug as said on the manual it will be much better

1 - 13 of 13 Posts