Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello 124 people.

Just thought I'd add some pictures and info for the record concerning protection for your cars this Winter. My S124 has recently been treated to a service, a couple of coats of Collinite wax (amazing stuff),some new mudflaps and a set of rubber mats, both MB accessories.

Mudflaps

Pictured below fitted to my car are the model-specific moulded items (suitable for all W124's) available from stock from Mercedes UK (and probably everywhere else.) The invoice lists them as:

MB6 6 52 8132 front pair
MB6 652 8134 rear pair

They cost £24 per pair. They sit in position very well, and fitting involves no drilling or screws - simply clamp the flaps with the supplied fixings onto the body cladding with mole grips. I also accomplished all four corners without removing the wheels. A full printed instruction booklet is supplied - can scan this on request - but it's a fool-proof installation really. So far they've been pressure-washed from close range, and they haven't touched the ground or any kerbs / speed bumps while driving (loaded or empty). I haven't noticed them trapping dirt or moisture against the body or wheel arches, so I don't anticipate any problems there with corrosion. The rears are attached to the bumper so you can still remove the whole assembly if necessary without removing the flaps first.

After the wet or muddy trips since I fitted them, 80% of the road dirt and debris I usually find fanned out on the lower body is deflected away, making the car much easier to clean and saving the paint from a fair bit of abuse. I assume there's now some protection from stones too - the lower cladding of my car (at 108,000 miles) is peppered with lots of small chips and impact marks, especially at the rear, so it's another 124 issue to look out for. I'll get some re-spraying done now, confident the new finish will be better protected than the old.

I know there's an aesthetic debate regarding flaps - many don't like the look of them at all regardless of functionality. My car's an S124, still factory standard, and in my opinion the wagon actually looks better with them added - they match the other practical wagon-only design features like the roof bars, load cover and load bay tie-downs. A pretty coupe may well look a bit frumpy in them I suppose, and I've never yet seen a cabriolet wearing these.

Rubber Mats

Can't give you a part number for these, but here's the ebay (uk) listing number - there's still a set left so get on it quickly:

Item Number 140641536002 ebay.co.uk

These are the real deal, made of heavy but very flexible rubber featuring a large moulded MB star, dirt / liquid catching grid design and anti-slip backing. Best of all they're shaped to fit the foot wells perfectly. Some after-market mats can cause problems with creeping, or poor fitting which can mean pedal access becoming impeded and the rear floor heater vents getting covered. No such problems with these and best of all they're being offered at a lower price than the other unbranded mats around. I paid £30 for all four which is very cheap, but still well worth full price from the dealer due to the overall quality and functionality.

Again, rubber mats definitely aren't the sexiest of accessories, but if you've got pale carpets (that you've sweated for hours to clean up properly like I did when I bought the car) you'll understand why it feels good to be able to load the family up on a rainy day with no nasty consequences for all that deep-pile... again, while not nearly as attractive as carpet, they look ok in a sensible kind of way, and of course they can come out again in Spring.

One last item to look out for would be a load-bay mat or tray... they're available from various suppliers but I've been searching for an original branded item supplied by the dealers which also had an extension piece to cover the seat backs when they're folded down. Great for some serious hauling - but NLA according to my local dealer. Having deep-cleaned that massive area of beige carpet back there once, I'm in no hurry to do it again... I'll post a picture here if and when I find one.

Sorry for the long post, I talk too much. Tim.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Elbeik, I've learned a lot from your posts so thank you for all those contributions. RHW: I am a bit weird about cleaning cars. I try to get over it, but I think it's a life long curse. Genetic, or something. There sure is a lot to clean on an S124, next time I'll go for an SLK!

Question to RHW, on the subject of Winter driving: You have a high-level brake light in your estate... is that standard US kit? I reckon that's a must-have. I'm not sure that other drivers even notice the lower brake lights these days and I want to fit one. Time to search the forum (again)...

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I have similar genuine MB rubber mats, but they have a slightly different design, with a smaller logo. My sedan has the fake MB mudflaps, while my wagon has the genuine article from the dealer. Mudflaps and rubber mats are really nice for wet climates like mine.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are always available on ebay - generic old-school long rubber ones, same for front & rear. If they could be made to fit right, they might look good on early 124's (especially the cool-looking beaten-up ones with after market alloys, stickers in the rear windows and cracked bumpers that I still see smoking around my part of the city). Or on a 123 TE for that matter.

Mick D - go for it, though I don't think you really need a sign saying 'back off' when those dogs are riding with you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Pictured below fitted to my car are the model-specific moulded items (suitable for all W124's) available from stock from Mercedes UK (and probably everywhere else.) The invoice lists them as:

MB6 6 52 8132 front pair
MB6 652 8134 rear pair
THANK YOU, TIM. I will be calling in those numbers in the morning; I've wanted a set like those for the wagon.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem Brian. I've used this board so much, it's time to try to pay a bit back... woah, wait a minute - you have a great list of Mercs there. That's not a garage you've got, it's a museum! Your hot 190 must be one of the best stealth cars on the road, I've always loved them. Bet you never get bored of smoking modern cars in it, I know I wouldn't. I'll check out your pictures...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for adding these to the thread, devcrk. I wonder if those mats are still available, they're the real deal. I see they're moulded just like the rear load-bay cover I have seen, and would offer complete mud-catching protection for the footwells - the separate mat for the rear tunnel shows proper old-school MB attention to detail.

From your photos I think the part numbers are:

124 880 19 41 / 124 880 35 49

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I really like those molded mats. I'm curious about the footwell lighting, both up front and for the rear. Is that factory lighting?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Mine:

Oryginal MB rubber mats, VIN code 837: RUBBER MATS ON FRONT AND REAR FLOOR
If memory serves me right, we had some factory, molded mats like that originally. Complete with these metal clips that also had carpet barbs. Got rid of that mess and went with rubber mats with the MB logo...like pictured earlier in this thread. Been in for over a decade and still look great when cleaned. Carpet is pristine underneath, FWIW.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Question to RHW, on the subject of Winter driving: You have a high-level brake light in your estate... is that standard US kit?
-------------

Missed this,
Yes, those are stock USA lights in rear of 94/95 S124.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's a rubber mat I don't have and would like to get - it's for the footwell of the 3rd row seats in the wagon. I only discovered it existed from the picture below, spotted on ebay, but I'd find one really useful. No idea if it's OEM or after-market.

If you have a part number or any info to post here, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

rubber-mat.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
There's a rubber mat I don't have and would like to get - it's for the footwell of the 3rd row seats in the wagon. I only discovered it existed from the picture below, spotted on ebay, but I'd find one really useful. No idea if it's OEM or after-market.

If you have a part number or any info to post here, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

View attachment 413687
Mine has a carpet mat....was that a standard item? I wonder why I don't have the rubber mat there(?)...all the rest of the mats are MB rubber from the dealer.

I'm with you, I'd love a rubber there!:D

Kevin

1 - 20 of 35 Posts