Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Haha couldnt have said it better. I hate traffic purely because its full of people that somehow get there damn licence from a cereal box. Like some of them will use indicators to change lanes. Them 5 mins later just flat out ignore that indicators exist for a traffic light turn?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
While it's no Miata neither is the 722.4 auto a Ferrari DCT. Even an old rubbery 5spd is better than a shitty old vac/hydro controlled auto in any situation other than stop-go traffic. A guy who owns an e39 M5 rowed through the gears in my car and asked how I got it to feel so tight and direct. It's because I rebuilt the shifter and replaced all the worn rubber bushings with delrin.

Before/After

BINGO
I was part of the first group buy for 190e delrin shifter bushings about 8 or 9 years ago. That shifter and transmission lives on in my 300d. Those delrin bushings put the average BMW shifter to shame.
now iirc are the bellhousing pattern for m10x and om60x are the same are they not?
M102, m103, m104, m111, om601, om602, om603, om604, om605, om606 all share the same bell housing bolt pattern. I have an early 90s m102 5spd behind my om603 with a dual mass flywheel.

Ehhh, just ignore the 6. It was either this or a unimog 8spd shift knob.

·
W201 Moderator
2,174 Posts
I guess I need to re-do my bushings now. 30 years and 195K miles later, it must be time.
Original clutch by the way, mostly city driving all that time. 95 124-sportline auto transmission bit the dust 5 years ago at 140K miles.

Yes I know it is not the best gearbox around but I've been driving basically the same gearbox since the family car - 1975 W115. These box's and clutches last and last. At this rate it will out-last me or the rest of the car.

Only reason I bought the W201 back in 1989. Alternate was an e30.

It is also the only reason I still own the W201.

No disrespect meant to all the auto trans owners, just personal feelings about the manual....

- Cheers!

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
You manual transmission guys are living in the past, along with those lamenting the abolition of leaded gasoline and the lack of choice in bias ply tires.

The sun has long set on World War 2 technology, and the manual trans has about as much of a future as a shoeshine stand at the airport.

A few examples of car models that used to be referred to as the gold standard for manual transmissions, but now only come with a automated box: The new C8 Vette, Acura/Honda NSX, Porsche 911, Ferrari, Lamborghini, AMG, Aston Martin, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Pffft lol good one. im staying with a manual till i die. You wanna drive auto go a head but id rather make achievements in a manual and know I did all the work. Auto takes zero skill and is just plain boring to me and there are plenty of us die hards out there so i doubt manual is gonna just go away haha.

And the whole new car argument doesnt really stick either. Im never gonna be interested in buying a new car when i can build a car perfect for me for way less and make it the way I want. Plenty of people like that too. Manual has a future for as long as people like me keep driving them. Its called supply and demand. Sure its much less cos most people these days get there licence in a cereal box but it wont die off. Not for a long time.

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
I guess it's safe to say we won't ever see you in a self driving car either.

But seriously, there is no need to feel like your manhood is being threatened by the use of a auto. I still remember long ago when "real bike guys" said they will only buy a bike with a kickstarter. Those guys are all dead or gladly pushing a starter button every time. I know my next bike will be a Honda Goldwing with the DCT.

The only stick I need is the one between my legs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Your definitely right there lol. I grew up driving and im gonna stay driving. Its my passion and there isn't anything wrong with that. The only thing i need to get me out of a bad mood is to go cruising on a windey road rowing through gears with a big smirk on my face. Its got nothing to do with manhood. I have no issue with autos and the people that drive them so long as they drive properly. I think the electric start doesnt really make sense in this context. That was simply a better way to start the vehicle. Auto changes almost everything about how the car drives and feels and how it responds. Again this is all just my opinion but so long as no one tries to take that away then you'll here no problems from me even if I'm the last guy on earth driving my car myself.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You manual transmission guys are living in the past, along with those lamenting the abolition of leaded gasoline and the lack of choice in bias ply tires.

The sun has long set on World War 2 technology, and the manual trans has about as much of a future as a shoeshine stand at the airport.

A few examples of car models that used to be referred to as the gold standard for manual transmissions, but now only come with a automated box: The new C8 Vette, Acura/Honda NSX, Porsche 911, Ferrari, Lamborghini, AMG, Aston Martin, etc, etc, etc.
This is an odd take in a message board about 30 y/o cars. And personally, I'd love to have a self-driving EV, but I that's beside the point.

Your list of cars no longer available with manual is full of caveats, but more importantly, they all have DCTs and none are a W124. If you guys who think/say/believe that MB manual gearboxes are truckish would keep your comparisons to the available autos that are either OE or viable swaps the discussion would be a lot more fruitful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How do they hold up to power? Atm its a toss up between the bmw gs6 6 speed and an r155 with straight cut gears.

·
Registered
374 Posts
How bout staying on topic, dude had questions bout transmissions and a good forum answers em, they don't tell him he's outs his mind, espically with something like manual swap.

There was a car in China or Korea that used the m104, it was a 4x4 and it had a t5 5 speed in it. That's a nice trans. Inexpensive to build up, will easily hold the power of the v8 cars, and easy to get. Pick a shifter location etc etc, and the bell housing comes off. So I wanna know why has no one imported some bell housings for the t5, seems like a no brainier to me. Only issue is the driveshaft. The t5 has a slip yoke, dunno how you'd put a flange setup on it.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Thats probably the Korean made SsangYong Chairman ... they were briefly sold in the USA as Daewoos, I forget the alphanumeric branding they used here. The whole car was based on a uglified W124. Online sources, say they used the MB 722.6 automatic only.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sadly not even a built t5 is realistic for the power goal. T5s are basically glass aha even stock v6s here shatter em. The 53dz will take the power but it need tunnel massaging. The r155 wilp be not much more including a straight cut set from Sweden. Also depends if i decide to keep the stock engine too but i have time to make my decisions.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm gonna disagree with you. They will easily put up with the power, they are not speed shifting transmissions, but they are not glass. I dunno what kinda power u wanna make but what ever. The ssangyong was the car and they had a 4x4 with a t5 and the m104

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well the m104 is good to 1200 wheel with minimal engine mods. I dont know if ill push it that hard but definitely up there. We have the t5 here in abundance with the 3.8 v6s. Basically once you get over 300 ish nm they'll start shearing teeth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Spearheading as in leading? Surely someone has aimed this high with a manual before?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Spearheading as in leading? Surely someone has aimed this high with a manual before?

Yeah, I dunno. Maybe. When I hear 1000hp+ I think drag racing where most people use built autos for speed and consistency. As LCG mentioned you'll need to address the rest of the drivetrain.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
9 Participants
Turbobagged124
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing