Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have 1988 300ce with ~90k miles on it, the m103 is a strong engine, but I was wondering about turbo options. Their are lots of people running ridiculous amounts of boost on stock internals although they are all running on e85 fuel. One of my inspirations is Alexander Lindquist’s engine in his 190e: Predictability Is Dead: The Turbo Mercedes 190 - Speedhunters. I'm just wondering what kind of boost I can run safely with 92 oct (us) (1 bar - doubtful)? The other question I have is what kind of electronic set up's can you run with these kind of turbo builds? People ever run megasquirts with merc turbo's?
Thanks, any reply helps guys!

*side note, my other Idea was swapping in a c36 m104 out of a 97, but that also has an electronics issue to deal with, plus the doner car on the market right now has around 200k: 1997 c36 amg part out or sell as is
Any opinions here too guys? Is this swap very difficult, from my research its pretty rare.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The first question you should ask yourself is how much money do you have to budget for such an expensive journey?

2. Megasquirt has been done before

3. Their is a member on here who has a twin turbo 300CE and has documented his progress.

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
Search for threads by RBYCC and his twin turbo, widebody coupe build. Ed has all the answers to your questions laid out in his threads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I checked it out. After doing alot more research today, I'm more worried about the ecu options if going with turbo thats not a prebuilt kit, and turbo technics are very rare in the US. Leaning more towards the c36 engine, even with the high miles, its cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'm a believer in using additional injectors for boost enrichment on the M103.
This method allows for the engine to be tuned per the stock specs on the stock Bosch setup and the boost enrichment via an inexpensive standalone additional injector controller like the Split Second AIC1.
.7 bar boost will give you close to 400HP on a well tuned and solid engine.
More than enough to keep up with most cars on the street and you're doing it with reliability.

Ed A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow ed, thanks for that information! I was really dreading having to redo all the wiring, with this, problem solved! I'm still a little unsure how the injection system would work, considering I would have to build the turbo setup from scratch. I was reading this thread a bit: My w124 M103 e300 finally has the mosselman kit istalled - Page 7 - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum I was wondering if you could explain the second injection system a little bit more for me / what fabrication I would have to do in this aspect. I'm not looking to make ridiculous power, if I could make 300 at the wheels I would be very pleased.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Oh wow ed, thanks for that information! I was really dreading having to redo all the wiring, with this, problem solved! I'm still a little unsure how the injection system would work, considering I would have to build the turbo setup from scratch. I was reading this thread a bit: My w124 M103 e300 finally has the mosselman kit istalled - Page 7 - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum I was wondering if you could explain the second injection system a little bit more for me / what fabrication I would have to do in this aspect. I'm not looking to make ridiculous power, if I could make 300 at the wheels I would be very pleased.
Thanks!

The optimum location for the additional injectors is where the rubber boot fits between the air valve assembly and throttle body on the M103. Turbo-Technics replaced the boot with a cast aluminum injector holder. I know a few who took the boot and cast it in fiberglass and mounted the two additional injectors in the new piece.

TurboTechnics was the only kit that used additional injectors. Mosselman tried enrichment via a piggyback analog controller.
At .5 bar boost I've double my stock HP and torque that was documented on pulls on a Mustang load dyno.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, the first picture was very helpful to understand the location. I assume that injector just taps into the oil feed, and then connects to the Split Second AIC1.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Oil feed ? The injectors install in the fabricated plenum that replaces the rubber boot above the throttle body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
RBYCC
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing