Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a w124 because I simply think it is one of the best car in the auto history. But I confused on a car that I found. I know that the cars after the facelift have clear signal lights and the radiator grill is integrated in the hood. What about the cars that have a pre facelift grill and headlights (square) but clear signal lights? Are those aftermarkets or that was the way they came out of the factory? Please see attachment. :|:|:|

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
There were 3 designs of the W124.

1986-1989: Belt line trim, square headlights, square grill

1990-1993: New door cladding replaced the beltline trim, painted mirrors, updated door handles

1994 and 1995: Rebadged to E320, updated headlights, updated corner signals, updated grill, updated hood, updated tail lights, updated rear bumper, updated wheels (wrong wheels in this picture, supposed to be 8 hole wheels)

Off top of my head these are just the exterior changes. There were many other changes in terms of engines, electronics, interior, brakes, etc.. for each of these 3 main variants of the W124.

The one you pictured looks like its between 1990 and 1993. Someone installed the clear corners, modified the grill. If it is a European model, those lights are standard. Otherwise someone also upgraded the headlights.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is true, It is a car from Europe. You can find a few like that in ads around Europe, I wonder if there wasn't a pre facelift change, since I doubt all of them changed their turn lights.

P.S. I know the radiator grill is not the right one.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
On Euro spec W124, the clear turn signal lenses did not appear until model year 1993. 1994 for US spec.

The lenses on the OP's picture are aftermarket, as is the grille

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
One way to spot aftermarket clears is by the lack of fluting molded into the lens..

This image shows some of the most common variations you'll see on 124's

edit: also NA-spec clear lenses still had the mandated orange reflectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I'm a newbie from Singapore.
I'm a little confused regarding the pre & post facelift model after looking through my local listings.
As John5788 detailed out the differences between the year model, I'm assuming when most people said pre facelift, they include the 1st generation ('86-'89).

Below are 3 ads, the '93 E220 (I suspect it's late '93 because it was registered in Feb '94), pretty straightforward, a post facelift model, except that it has signal light by the side panel.

The '91 200E is also straightforward with cladding and emblem on the grill but without signal

The last one got me confused, a '90 200E but look like a post facelift model. I came across several of them, all post facelift design but manufactured mostly between '90-'92 with M102 engine.

This is the only part that puzzled me, does not coincide with what I read online.
Am I missing something?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
300D Turbo, too, hah. I've heard of some heavy tweaked 300D's using monster turbos and getting insane boost and power but they often had big stacks coming through the hood to deal with it (and blew huge soot clouds when revved hard). and that car pictured doesn't have the vents on the fender that a w124 diesel usually has.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did some more digging through the online inventory of a local scrap shop.
It turns out that most are post facelift design regardless of their model year, the ratio is like 9 out of 10. Below are some examples of the 1st generation model with their respective data card (not sure if the pic will turn out too small, let me know)

The 1st pic seems correct with belt line trim as described by John5788, except that the interior reads: FABRIC on the data card. Are they MB-Tex or leather?

How is it possible that the post facelift design is out as far back in '86?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
ikmtoo
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing