Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a near perfect condition (body wise) 88 300E. I bought a service manual for it, and found the 300e-24 as well as 3.2, 3.4amg, and 3.6amg motors. Mine needs to have a head job anyways, and I was currious if anyone is familiar enough with benz engines to tell me if any of the latter heads are compatable with my block. I have experiance with swapping parts like that but I am entirely new to benz, so if anyone knows, or can tell me where to find information like that I wouold be gratefull.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Start by doing a search on this/these forums for previous posts relivent to your question. Usually a thread or two or twenty pertaining to most subjects. good luck.
p.s. How many miles/km on your motor now? Do you want to change out for performance or just to try something new?

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi ksuzen34.

Unfortuneately, none of the heads you mention are compatible with your block. It's based on a single chain SOCH M103, while the others you mention are double chain DOHC M104's. The M104 block is wider.

I know Brabus made a 3.6 liter based on the SOHC M103. If you can manage to get one of those, watch out for upgraded torque values. Personally, I've only seen them in 4-Matic's, and only with manual transmissions.

If you want to go for a complete engine change, beware that swapping is complicated, and you'll need a lot of new parts. I would only do that if I had a complete car to take them out from. Even so, you WILL have difficulties. When you take the necessary ECU's over, they will miss their buddies. And so on. Because quite a lot changes occured in the W124's between 88 and 90/91.

I recently rebuildt a W201 190 to a 190E for my son. I shouldn't have done it. It's way to much work, for O'so little gain. But the old 190 was knocking on heavens door, literally. And we "just happened to have" a M102 lying around. So I think it was worth it. Can't leave old soldiers left to die, can we?

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I didn't know about the brabus, or misinterpreted what I was seeing. Hmmmm..... I 3.6 with a manual, sounds like a real pain and a lot of problems waiting to happen in a swap. Sounds just like something I'd enjoy. I'm thinking finding one will be the hard part, and actually, I realy kind of like the oversquare design on this motor. Just a preferance I tend to have. In that case does anyone know if I can find performance parts for an engine this old? Cams, con rods, pistons? I read somewhere that it requires cutting to fit a v8 and its tranny, and if it will also be a pain to fit another six I'd stay with this motor if I could give it some more power. Any knowlage is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
I think I've seen a thread or three about fitting a turbocharger to an M103 lying about in this forum. Do a search and you should find one with pictures.

Shady

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi again ksuzen34.

Well, see for yourself. This one isn't a 4-Matic, but it's still a manual.

http://www.alfa-base.com/brabus/

I think they come in DOHC with 24 valves also. And a very old man besides me here says he knows of at least one automatic in a Dutch plated 3.6 SOHC 4-Matic. So there.

I think I would check with Brabus USA, and find out what they do / offer. They put in another crankshaft, so the stroke may be longer. Think so, but not sure. They have specially forged pistons, and modified in /outlet passages with a Brabus camshaft. You get around 245 hp. Never tried one, but I imagine they're magic. Maybe you can buy a set over there? They were very expencive in their day in Germany. An updated ECU will probably be required.

I've also seen M103's with a Brabus head. A little bit cheaper. Nice red and shiny. It had modified in and outlet manifolds, probably with enlarged finger polished ports / passages. I know they have enlarged valves in it, but not more. 12 big ones. The part that really kicks, is the Brabus camshaft. I think it lands at around 215 hp, but the torque is totally unbeliveable. After a tune up, I took one for a spin once. With one of these, you would not sickl for a M119.

There are of course other ways of modifying a M103, but others can probably help you better than me. You see, over here, generally if you can afford to rally trim your M103 engine, you would buy a bigger Benz. I know I would. An exception is the 190 guys. I've seen some 190's with pretty hefty 300's in them. So maybe you should ask in the W201 forum, just to see what shakes out?

I did polish the ports on a 87 300TE I once had, when I was doing the head anyway. But couldn't feel any difference, and it was in any case not worth it in time and blisters. She didn't have a lambda, and was a real gas pig.

Regards

Geir

1 - 7 of 7 Posts