Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought you guys would find this interesting. I´m going to replace just about everything in my rear suspension.
This car has the ASD differential, and will be upgraded to sportline suspension, i also plan to install E420/E500 brake system on it if i get the calipers for a resonable price.

I bought this subframe second hand, i currently have 3 x W124, E220, E220 and E420 AMG, and this is mostly practice before i start work on the E420 in the same manner, in search of perfection!

Well the pictures ! Here is the "donor" subframe.

Everything removed from it, almost...

This is going to recycling (trash)

The differential (from 230E), will be replaced. The wheel hubs will be sandblasted with the frame but i plan to paint them afterwards.

This is after sandblasting, i would maybe recommend soda or glass blasting if you want smoother finish, that might be the way for my E420.

And because i´m insane or brilliant , hot-galvanized Zink coating !
Now it´s been sent to the workshop to put in the rubber-mountings which i don´t have proper tools to do.

I will try to keep you informed, my plan is a restoration that lasts, also to practice and try out methods to get my E420 perfect.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I would keep the LCAs, media-blast them and galvanize them. This is tough pressed steel with just some superficial rust. I cannot see the reason for getting new ones instead.

You may want to use T-model sway bar links (all metal) along with a 500 bar.

Replace the subframe bushings with the beefier ones:

Front 129 351 15 42 with taller tabs

Rear 202 351 09 42

You may also want to use the aluminium torque arm, which is lighter and adds some bling to the setup:

Are you restoring the knuckles somehow? They have precise openings for bushings and bearings. Chemical galvanizing could do the trick.

:thumbsup: Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
Let's see a shot of the factory p/n label on the subframe. I'm curious to compare it the one out of my 90 TE 4Matic parts car.

Attachments

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Now that I read this again, I'm a bit confused. Which car has the ASD? The diff in the pic doesn't appear to be an ASD unit. I also thought that V8 subframes were different than the inline versions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I read this again, I'm a bit confused. Which car has the ASD? The diff in the pic doesn't appear to be an ASD unit. I also thought that V8 subframes were different than the inline versions.
The V8 subframe has bigger bushings and with some bigger holes i believe, they never came with an limited slip differential.

The differential seen on the photo is from a 230E, that was sold. I have jet to remove the ASD from my scrap car.
All this assembly will go into my E220 daily driver, it has also the ASD differential. My plan is to complete the subframe build, than swap it into the car in one piece, that way i will not suffer from any down-time at all.

This is also an experiment for my E420, it´s best to begin with the cheaper, less rare car...that i don´t mind if there will be some mistakes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's see a shot of the factory p/n label on the subframe. I'm curious to compare it the one out of my 90 TE 4Matic parts car.
This subframe is derived from an 230E. All parts should be interchange-able from my E220 ASD , otherwise the sticker was blasted away. But i will find out sooner than later, will try to remember to inform you about this.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Ok, now I think I understand what you're doing here. I believe the forward section of the V8 unit is a welded tube, rather than stamped steel. But that's kind of irrelevant since this doesn't appear to be going into your E420 anyway. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any updates?
Not at the moment, my parts dealer has ordered some of the bushings, not rushing anything. This seems to have heavy duty bushings for the differential mountings, those are also getting replaced.

It´s in progress, have to wait for the parts to get here and they will press them in for me, and if i have time i will put all the suspension links in myself.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just found this, I am doing exactly the same thing you are.

I am installing H&R springs and Bilstein shocks as well as a rear sway bar from the W210.

The rest of the components I hope to install from a Sportline or V8 car model. Buying everything new from dealer.

Do you know what else I need that differs fromt the standard 94 coupe rear suspension to accomplish this?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would keep the LCAs, media-blast them and galvanize them. This is tough pressed steel with just some superficial rust. I cannot see the reason for getting new ones instead.

You may want to use T-model sway bar links (all metal) along with a 500 bar.

Replace the subframe bushings with the beefier ones:

Front 129 351 15 42 with taller tabs

Rear 202 351 09 42

You may also want to use the aluminium torque arm, which is lighter and adds some bling to the setup:

Are you restoring the knuckles somehow? They have precise openings for bushings and bearings. Chemical galvanizing could do the trick.

:thumbsup: Keep up the good work!
Nice list, are those arms and respective bushings the same for the Sportline models? Is there a difference for V8 models? If so, would V8 components fit on the I6 cars and would it be a worthwhile replacement? (for improved handling)

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
I'm currently refurbishing the rear bushings on my 207K mile SL600 and noticed this thread (as we share the same differential subframe).

In addition to swapping out the 4 big corner bushings, I'm also replacing the 2 rear differential bushings as well as the 2 pancake vertical diff bushings.

Prior to this, I had an issue with the V12's torque demolishing the inner edges of the rear tires until I replaced the upper camber arms with aftermarket heim jointed links. These solved the tire wear issue, but I'm interested in a few more improvements in handling and power application.

I've purchased the last R129 3/4 inch (18.5mm) rear bar from Addco (bar #2055) and will be swapping out my OEM 14mm bar during the holidays (as well as the big corner and diff bushings).

I'm already using the metal sway bar endlinks from the 300T wagon and noticed in this thread the aluminum thrust (210 350 37 06) links (gotta love benzworld) and have ordered them plus the bushing/mounting bolts upgrade.

My question is how do the aluminum links mount? Arch up or down, thick end in or out? Any response will be appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Is that hub/bearing carrier black out of the factory on our cars, or is it left as machined with oil?
That hub is sandblasted with tape around it, than painted with zink-primer, and painted on top of that with black paint, then i removed the tape which leaves the factory finish.
http://www.simnet.is/hlynzi/benz/subframe/5.jpg (you can see it here just after blasting, still with the tape on)
I cannot paint the seating for the bearing because it will mess up tolerances for later fitment.
Next time i plan to blast this with softer medium (glass or soda), get a smoother finish, and finish that off with electro-zinc coating, all the other parts are done with hot-zinc dipping (galvanized ? ) method, it leaves a very thick coating.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
boyd waugh
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing