Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just drained the coolant from the radiator on my E200 wagon to top it up with antifreeze. I drained it via the red knob at the bottom of the radiator. I topped it back up, with the engine running, but now seem to have an airlock. The expansion tank is colder than the rest of the heater hoses & after taking it out for a run there's no pressure in the expansion tank when you take the cap off & the heater's blowing cold air, whereas it used to be really warm. The temperature gauge is showing just over 80 deg C. What do I need to do to get it working as it shoud again? is there a way of bleeding the system?

Thanks in advance guys
cheers...Nige

·
Registered
W124
5,169 Posts
Not sure about a 200 but on a 300E there is a bleed bolt on top of the thermostat housing and a bleed bolt in the head (along the row of sensors that screw into the head). If you don't have a bleed bolt in your head you would get the same result if you removed a temp sensor long enough to let any air out of the head; then reinstall it. That might do the trick for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Anyone else able to help with this please?? I figured that by filling it with the engine running I wouldn't have a problem with trapped air.

There's no bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing, only the three bolts that hold it down. Would loosening one of those off help??

After posting this thread I unscrewed the pipe going from the thermostat housing to the expansion tank, at the tank & with the engine running poured water down the tube/hose in an attempt to allow the engine to be filled with coolant from a point higher than the engine, hoping that this might get rid of the air lock, but this didn't work either. We've just had snow fall & really need a heater that works, any advice would be apprecaited,

thanks....Nigel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts