Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,111 Posts
A friend of mine is a engineer who does a lot of prototype fabrication.... He has metal and ceramic printers at his workplace and has built a dozen different consumer printers... I haven't seen anything from a plastic extruder printer that can hold water.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,335 Posts
Actually, and I get into this a lot with people who print, the quality of the machine is everything. The million dollar plus machines that most people access at work do a FAR better job at printing plastic parts. It's not just the quality of the printing material.

That's what's held up 3D printing from supplying all the various hobbies with replacement parts, both metal & plastic. AND....it takes HOURS to print out decent sized parts. So if you're selling them at a decent price, you have no profit margin.

When this process works well it's because a guy/gal works at a place that has the expensive machines and they're encourage to play with them on non-work related projects.

Case in point...in the chainsaw hobby there is a popular saw that has a plastic, bolt on fan to the metal flywheel arrangement. All the OE fans are long gone and so 3D printing was a natural choice. In comes a guy that collects these saws that works with a million dollar 3D printer.....after some experiments with different plastics, he found the right combo and sells the fan for $45. He was encouraged by his boss to experiment. So as an employee, he has no investment in the machine, makes the fans on his own time and probably pays for the ingredients...or should.

The point to all this is that the fan WORKS, is in a very hostile enviroment and spinning at high spd. So......yes it works under the right circumstances, but 3D printing is FAR form saving hobbies at the consumer level. And the machines so far at the affordable consumer lever are a joke.

Kevin

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes-Benz 300 CE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Oh ok thank u Soo much
That’s my next hurdle, I’m using cardboard to mockup a dash kit, them I’m gonna attempt to 3D model and print it. It’s definitely gonna take some work but I’ll keep you updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey bud it's Alex how's ur research and development going on a trim piece for the double DIN

21 - 25 of 25 Posts