Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
1988 Mercedes-Benz 300 CE
Discussion Starter #1
Really want to modernize my benz just a tad bit trying to go for a double din stereo I see that it's possible if I remove the ashtray which would be fine by me cuz I don't smoke any suggestions on what i have to do main thing with me is I want to add extra features but I want to keep the original look of the car as intact as possible this is just one thing I want to do out of plenty

Any pointers? also since I'm planning to add a whole ton of extra electronic features to this car I'm also looking to upgrade the alternator as well as my battery I have plenty of room in my battery compartment for a larger battery
Would highly prefer if the alternator upgrade was a Mercedes-Benz alternator
15836203071877076677250057722000.jpg
15836203455663474668492743434707.jpg

15836205175438774662738039554278.jpg

Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
a group 49 battery fits right in place of the standard group 48. Group 49 were used on diesel w124's.

a bigger alternator will require heavier gauge wiring from the alternator to the X4/10 terminal and from X4/10 to the battery. X4/10 is the 3 pin terminal thats on the back face of the strut tower just under those ground lugs visible in your first picture. Our alternators are already pretty darn big, what are you planning to install, a rock and roll stage sound system?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
a group 49 battery fits right in place of the standard group 48. Group 49 were used on diesel w124's.

a bigger alternator will require heavier gauge wiring from the alternator to the X4/10 terminal and from X4/10 to the battery. X4/10 is the 3 pin terminal thats on the back face of the strut tower just under those ground lugs visible in your first picture. Our alternators are already pretty darn big, what are you planning to install, a rock and roll stage sound system?
I'm not too worried about a sound system right now because I got a luxury car I don't have like an AMG model or anyting I don't have a hammer I'm more or less just trying to go for a modern retrospect in the car so cuz the thing is I'm not a big fan of you and luxury cars because you look inside of them and it's like you were in a spaceship and I can't stand it that's one of the reasons I love my 300C so much because you can tell it's a luxury car but it's simplistic you know it's not it doesn't look like a computer on the inside it doesn't look like you're getting in the spaceship so looks like I said the main thing is I'm going to add extra features that you see on newer cars on modern Mercedes but I'm going to keep the look of the car as close to the original as possible so like I'm asking about the double d i n stereo because I want to install that I thought about I want to install monitors in the back of the driver seats stuff like that sound system I'm not too worried about right now I'll probably put a sub in the front passenger side but idk for sure yetI was just asking about the alternator cuz I don't know how big the alternator is there anything I know I'm going to upgrade the battery but I just want to play it safe you know I want to make sure I don't overload anything or you know the power drain is too much and puts too much strain and kills the alternator I have right now because right now the Mercedes I have it's got a hundred and sixty-two thousand miles it's 32 years old almost 32 years old and everything on it is stock there isn't a single thing on the car that is not the original factory parts

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not too worried about a sound system right now because I got a luxury car I don't have like an AMG model or anyting I don't have a hammer I'm more or less just trying to go for a modern retrospect in the car so cuz the thing is I'm not a big fan of you and luxury cars because you look inside of them and it's like you were in a spaceship and I can't stand it that's one of the reasons I love my 300C so much because you can tell it's a luxury car but it's simplistic you know it's not it doesn't look like a computer on the inside it doesn't look like you're getting in the spaceship so looks like I said the main thing is I'm going to add extra features that you see on newer cars on modern Mercedes but I'm going to keep the look of the car as close to the original as possible so like I'm asking about the double d i n stereo because I want to install that I thought about I want to install monitors in the back of the driver seats stuff like that sound system I'm not too worried about right now I'll probably put a sub in the front passenger side but idk for sure yetI was just asking about the alternator cuz I don't know how big the alternator is there anything I know I'm going to upgrade the battery but I just want to play it safe you know I want to make sure I don't overload anything or you know the power drain is too much and puts too much strain and kills the alternator I have right now because right now the Mercedes I have it's got a hundred and sixty-two thousand miles it's 32 years old almost 32 years old and everything on it is stock there isn't a single thing on the car that is not the original factory parts
Sorry for the typos I'm using voice type cuz I'm busy doing stuff right now but I'm not a big fan of new luxury cars because they look like spaceships

Registered
1978 Mercedes 300D, 1987 Mercedes 300TD

I installed this Sony XAV-AX5000 the other day. Wiring harness was pretty straight forward (metra also makes an adapter from the stock harness to radio harness) I like this radio a lot because it鈥檚 a single din with a nice big touch screen, CarPlay and Android Auto. Most of these Sony radios are like this and I believe Pioneer makes a modular head unit, you could look into that too. Slid right in, now I鈥檓 either gonna 3D model and print a dash kit to hold it in, or I may buy a sheet or two of ABS to make a kit. Haven鈥檛 decide entirely on that end yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
So is that stereo single DIN stereo or is it a touch screen stereo double din

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

I installed this Sony XAV-AX5000 the other day. Wiring harness was pretty straight forward (metra also makes an adapter from the stock harness to radio harness) I like this radio a lot because it鈥檚 a single din with a nice big touch screen, CarPlay and Android Auto. Most of these Sony radios are like this and I believe Pioneer makes a modular head unit, you could look into that too. Slid right in, now I鈥檓 either gonna 3D model and print a dash kit to hold it in, or I may buy a sheet or two of ABS to make a kit. Haven鈥檛 decide entirely on that end yet.

So is that a touch screen double DIN or is it a single DIN with the motorized screen
I really want the touch screen double DIN if I can and how much would you charge to print a dash kit for me I have the same chassis as you a
w124

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #11

Registered
That鈥檚 my next hurdle, I鈥檓 using cardboard to mockup a dash kit, them I鈥檓 gonna attempt to 3D model and print it. It鈥檚 definitely gonna take some work but I鈥檒l keep you updated.

Registered
I understand this. I鈥檓 pretty familiar with printing materials so I purchased some black PETG to print this kit with. Think plastic water bottles but thicker. Much like ABS in strength and heat resistant but without the toxic fumes let off when printing ABS.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Oh ok thank u Soo much

I do want to update the sound system but I also want to add extra electronic features as well I'm going for the modern retrospect vibe

Registered
Maybe we can 3d print the plastic parts for our W124's. (third brake light housing crumbles, the trim on the side of the seat crumbles, etc
I like that idea. My build plate isn鈥檛 big enough for the side seat trim but third brake light is a good idea, I actually need on of those as well.

Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
Consumer 3D printers generate rather porous, brittle and not very heat resistant plastic things, rather slowly. Professional 3D printing is expensive.

Registered
Consumer grade printers can actually make some pretty impressive things, but slowly yes. The rigidity of products really comes down to the filament used and if it was printed correctly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts