Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
When the leaf wears it comes up due to the small spring in the barrel ,,and this extra hight is what stops the barrel from turning get a rasp or file and take off the extra material off the waffer or leaf . I have took one out of my barrel all together .

·
Registered
1994 E420
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
plinker17722: I found the locksmiths brass repair kit at AliExpress you recommended. The 350 piece kit is only $9.59, but it appears to be designed for a Honda. Brass Lock repair Kit - is this the kit you were referencing - will it work for a Mercedes?

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
The box i saw were for Mercedes .So I would message them to find out if it is for your barrels first . But that is what they are like .. Do let us know the outcome .I have been meaning top get a kit,, but as yet i dont know if i shall keep the car ant longer .I am finding it hard to keep it in top condition now .. .They were to be spares anyway . So might not be worth me having a kit .

·
Premium Member
2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,387 Posts
If it were me, I would disassemble the door lock cylinders, insert the key, and note which wafers are not flush with the barrel. I would then just remove that wafer and spring from the barrel. Let's face it, these cars are not on the high theft list, so even if you were down to just one wafer in the barrel, it would be sufficient to prevent casual opening with something like a screw driver.

·
Registered
W124
5,300 Posts
You can use lock lube which is graphite in an alcohol carrier. The alcohol evaporates and leaves the graphite lube behind.

Reactions: Jayare

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,173 Posts
I know you are reluctant to installing a wireless remote but after you get the lock figured out, I would still strongly advise to install the wireless.

I myself am a purist and resisted a short while but I have not used the door/trunk keys for over 3 years now.
They all work except the new key does not work on the driver door (old ones do).
So it seems the keys wear out together with the locks normally and a new key may not fit the old locks.
Seems the opposite works (new lock with old keys).

The remotes are tiny and the total cost is less than $15. And is super easy to install. It is as if the system was actually designed with an add on remote in mind (I'm sure purely coincidence).

You are thinking of the modern Benz/BMW remotes. These in volume are about 25% of those, and the battery lasts a long time too (my originals are still in there)

BTW, I'm the original owner here, and did not want to alter the car at all cost. But here we are ....

·
Registered
1994 E420
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
plinker17722: Thanks. I will make an inquiry. It may be a while until I get this door cylinder repair completed. I'm in the middle of a paint job that has been put on hold due to the Kung Flu, but I will report back when the repair is complete.

Floobydust: Good point. I will take that under advisement.

tuttebenne: Graphite worked for a while, but it no longer works in my case.

dolucasi: Thanks. I want to see how the door cylinder repairs goes before I consider a wireless remote. I really prefer to just have a key. I guess I’m old school that way. I’m not huge fan of electronic gizmos, although I can tolerate them as a necessary part of modern life.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
1994 i do like that = Kung Flue haha I did say i have took 1 leaf out of my barrel in my post 21 above .You can take 2 out if need be .

·
Registered
1994 E420
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks plinker. If I cannot locate a Mercedes leaf kit, I may have to do just that.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
No lubrication with and grease or snake oil will repair worn out lock reeds .If the key wont turn in the lock you can try lubrecating it first . Then if you find it is still not turning then it will be mean you will need to replace the reeds .Or springs .

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
Easy fix is to remove the brass leaf that is sticking up from the barrel along with its spring .

21 - 33 of 33 Posts