Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I doubt you'd tell the difference unless you're out there hard charging on all corners all the time.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
So it’s probably not worth it to go from a stock sway bar to limo bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,850 Posts
Bingo..

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Bingo..

I know most of you say oh these cars are not meant to be driven hard, but what are the most performance oriented mods worth it for a E320 1995. I have done struts and springs, slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads and that’s really it. Any known engine mods, suspension, anything??? This car is really fun to drive when pushing it, I think a more aggressive diff would make it better, but they are very expensive and hard to install, I say this because the low end is a little off sometimes, but at higher rpms 3-6 it flies.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,173 Posts
I doubt you'd tell the difference unless you're out there hard charging on all corners all the time.

I doubt it as well. But I figured I wanted Sportline all-around (except rear sway bar) is a best tuned suspension for the W201/W124.
And I figure the old bar maybe getting tired after 30 years. And Mercedes made a new batch (springs and roll-bars a couple of years ago, so why let those go to waste?)

To the OP, a W124 is just a 2-3 inch sized up version (in all directions) of a W201 in my book (or the other way around).
I've owned both since 1989.
So pretty much everything more or less applies between the two.

I remember I was very happy with the stance/ride of my W124 sportline when I had it and the W201 in sportline almost feels the same to me.
I will let you know when I receive the bar.

I did not want to do experimentation with suspension components. I assume Mercedes has done enough of that to create the Sportline.
So I do not know about the Limo roll bar.

BTW, the sportline rear sway bar is thinner (weaker) and people believe that mod is not needed and is a bit difficult to perform anyway.
I will leave that alone.

Here is the stance on my 124 when I had it. All original nothing added or taken away.

- Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I doubt it as well. But I figured I wanted Sportline all-around (except rear sway bar) is a best tuned suspension for the W201/W124.
And I figure the old bar maybe getting tired after 30 years. And Mercedes made a new batch (springs and roll-bars a couple of years ago, so why let those go to waste?)

To the OP, a W124 is just a 2-3 inch sized up version (in all directions) of a W201 in my book (or the other way around).
I've owned both since 1989.
So pretty much everything more or less applies between the two.

I remember I was very happy with the stance/ride of my W124 sportline when I had it and the W201 in sportline almost feels the same to me.
I will let you know when I receive the bar.

I did not want to do experimentation with suspension components. I assume Mercedes has done enough of that to create the Sportline.
So I do not know about the Limo roll bar.

BTW, the sportline rear sway bar is thinner (weaker) and people believe that mod is not needed and is a bit difficult to perform anyway.
I will leave that alone.

Here is the stance on my 124 when I had it. All original nothing added or taken away.

- Cheers!

View attachment 2641537

Mine sits much lower and probably handles better than sportline as sportline was a compromise between comfort and performance. I think if I was to upgrade to a limo bar I would notice it as I sometimes take corners pretty hard. I will probably avoid the rear as it probably isn’t worth it, but if I get to much over steer i might have too.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Eventually I will do the swaybar, but I will hold off for right now. One thing I am constantly considering is buying an amg gen 3 body kit and vinyl wrapping my entire car satin matte gray. I would do it myself. I have already vinyl wraped my grille and some other parts on my car metallic black. It is a little pricey but would make the car look brand new. This is the color:

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Here is an old pic of my car with vinyl wrap carbon fiber before I peeled it off cause I missed the beautiful wood I also took the led lights out cause they had issues as they were like 5 bucks from china:

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,173 Posts
I doubt yours sit lower, you have bigger wheels that reduces the gap between the rubber and the fender. What is your tire diameter or size?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I doubt yours sit lower, you have bigger wheels that reduces the gap between the rubber and the fender. What is your tire diameter or size?
205/55/16
H&R springs sit lower then sportline, when I drive on roads with big dips and high speeds my tire rubs on the inner fender well.

·
W201 Moderator
3,173 Posts
Actually your car does not sit any lower. Trust me a sportline is at a bare minimum in height. It barely cleared by drive way and if I had only one passenger in the back the bottom would scrape.
It is just that your tires are a bigger by 2 full inches in diameter compared to a sportline, so the wheel wells are filled quite a bit more. Put your rims on a sportline and it will look similar around the wheels.
And you would be in danger of rubbing of course.

Sportline's come with: 7J15, 205/60-15 with 627mm diameter
Yours is a 205/55-16 with 632mm diamater.

This is what I meant by experimenting with my W201. I just wanted something that is proven working because I drove the W124 sportline for nearly 20 years with minimum issues and I enjoyed the ride.
I just wanted the same ride and look for the w201.

You already decided against changing the roll bar, which is probably the right decision, I will let you know if I can tell the difference at all.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Actually your car does not sit any lower. Trust me a sportline is at a bare minimum in height. It barely cleared by drive way and if I had only one passenger in the back the bottom would scrape.
It is just that your tires are a bigger by 2 full inches in diameter compared to a sportline, so the wheel wells are filled quite a bit more. Put your rims on a sportline and it will look similar around the wheels.
And you would be in danger of rubbing of course.

Sportline's come with: 7J15, 205/60-15 with 627mm diameter
Yours is a 205/55-16 with 632mm diamater.

This is what I meant by experimenting with my W201. I just wanted something that is proven working because I drove the W124 sportline for nearly 20 years with minimum issues and I enjoyed the ride.
I just wanted the same ride and look for the w201.

You already decided against changing the roll bar, which is probably the right decision, I will let you know if I can tell the difference at all.
Thanks for your response I can’t wait for your result, I am dying to know, good luck!

·
W201 Moderator
3,173 Posts
By the way, I was wrong about the wheel sizes, yours is only 1/4 inch larger. So I think yours maybe sitting a little lower with your springs. I'll let you know about the crossbar.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
Only mod i did was to line the trunk lid with a cover from anothe boot lid .I was felt sick every time i opened the trunk lid of my W124 to see just bear metal . Si i sorted a cover from Ebay few clips and its like top model --well the trunk lid
DSC05934.JPG
anyway .

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,875 Posts
Your telling me I won’t notice I difference in handling when I corner hard around turns when I get much thicker sway bars? I noticed a massive difference when I lowered my car on h &r springs and bilstien b8s. There is still a good amount of body roll I would like to get rid of. I know some of you will say just changing all the bushings will make a difference but I have checked most of them, they seem to be fine, the rear control area seem to be a little worn out as when it driving on the highway on extremely windy days the car gets pushed side to side a little.

The body roll you are currently dealing with is primarly from the worn bushings. Replace those and then your car will really ride like its on rails.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
The body roll you are currently dealing with is primarly from the worn bushings. Replace those and then your car will really ride like its on rails.
Probably, unfortunately wouldn’t it take a really long time and cost a lot to rebuild all the suspension other than the struts and springs I just changed?

·
W201 Moderator
3,173 Posts
Thanks for your response I can’t wait for your result, I am dying to know, good luck!

So the roll bar swap to sportline on my W201 is done. Not a W124 but very similar in build.

The difference in the roll is minimal if any, it feels less but that is probably the placebo effect.
All I know is as a whole the suspension performs to my satisfation.

I wanted a complete sportline suspension so now I have it.

To my surprise, the 31 year old bushings were tired but not cracked up or anything, perhaps the bar had a little play. The new ones are very tight of course. Barely could slide them on.
So now at least the suspension is tuned to the Mercedes sportline specifications.

From my experience since I did these one at a time the components that made the biggest difference in order of most change - to least change in suspension were:

(1) Front struts (mine were original and blown) to bilstein-HD
(2) Sportline springs
(3) Wider rims
(4) Anti roll bar (and bushings)

What I would say is that I feel it is best to not replace parts from random manufacturers but replace the suspension as a "tuned" system.

I hope this is helpful to you....

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
So the roll bar swap to sportline on my W201 is done. Not a W124 but very similar in build.

The difference in the roll is minimal if any, it feels less but that is probably the placebo effect.
All I know is as a whole the suspension performs to my satisfation.

I wanted a complete sportline suspension so now I have it.

To my surprise, the 31 year old bushings were tired but not cracked up or anything, perhaps the bar had a little play. The new ones are very tight of course. Barely could slide them on.
So now at least the suspension is tuned to the Mercedes sportline specifications.

From my experience since I did these one at a time the components that made the biggest difference in order of most change - to least change in suspension were:

(1) Front struts (mine were original and blown) to bilstein-HD
(2) Sportline springs
(3) Wider rims
(4) Anti roll bar (and bushings)

What I would say is that I feel it is best to not replace parts from random manufacturers but replace the suspension as a "tuned" system.

I hope this is helpful to you....
Ok thanks for your response, if I ever have money lying around I’ll spend it on the sway bars. Maybe you don’t feel it as much as most people do cause you’ve had such a massive rebuild and everything is nearly new on your suspension. My car could have some body roll due to some worn out components or have worn out sway bar bushings. Oh also I just remembered you have a w201 which already handles better than the w124 from the get go. Again thanks for sharing your experience have fun in that classic.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts