Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,173 Posts
If you want a stiff but not race-car stiff sway bar get a sportline sway bar. You can buy them at the dealer for ~$250 for front less for rear. Front is probably sufficient.
I had minimum roll when I had the sportline. I'm about to order one for my W201 as well to complete the sportline conversion.

·
Registered
2002 E430 1994 E320
24 Posts
Jayare

Here are photos of the bulbs I used. The brand is Auxito. I have been using them in my parent's car for over a year without any issues! If you search Auxito H4 LED on amazon it is readily available.
IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG

·
Registered
2002 E430 1994 E320
24 Posts
For the sportline steering gear box. I have it on my car. It does make a bit of difference but if you are looking for handling it's better to do springs, shocks, and sway bars. Also the steering gear box you need would have to be off a sport line sedan with part number ending in 7101. I would say that it doesn't improve the handling of the car, just less input to turn the wheel more; definitely feels nice though.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Your car already has away bars, front and rear. Some of the track guys in my area put 500SL springs and sway bars on their 124. It stiffens up the car pretty well

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I know my car has sway bars, I meant to say an upgrade to the limo front and e500 rear one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
For the sportline steering gear box. I have it on my car. It does make a bit of difference but if you are looking for handling it's better to do springs, shocks, and sway bars. Also the steering gear box you need would have to be off a sport line sedan with part number ending in 7101. I would say that it doesn't improve the handling of the car, just less input to turn the wheel more; definitely feels nice though.
Thanks for the advice, already done the springs and struts. I installed bilstein b8s and H&R’S springs.

·
Registered
2002 E430 1994 E320
24 Posts
Thanks for the advice, already done the springs and struts. I installed bilstein b8s and H&R’S springs.

Good choice. I'm on h&r as well but with koni sport shocks. Huge improvement for it's handling. When I did sway bars on my w210 it did make a noticeable difference in cornering, way more flat. Best part was that it didn't affect the ride comfort.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Good choice. I'm on h&r as well but with koni sport shocks. Huge improvement for it's handling. When I did sway bars on my w210 it did make a noticeable difference in cornering, way more flat. Best part was that it didn't affect the ride comfort.
Wow now I want to do the sway bar upgrade even more. Did you do the front and rear? I want to do it but I hard the rear is very tough to do. Some people said doing only the front might work but I would like to know what the most ideal setup is. Maybe I could do the front and rear later. For example the limo in the front and the e500 in the rear.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
That sounds so good, it must be labor intensive and very expensive to do this upgrade though. Less input to turn the steering would be amazing.

·
Registered
2002 E430 1994 E320
24 Posts
That sounds so good, it must be labor intensive and very expensive to do this upgrade though. Less input to turn the steering would be amazing.

Wow now I want to do the sway bar upgrade even more. Did you do the front and rear? I want to do it but I hard the rear is very tough to do. Some people said doing only the front might work but I would like to know what the most ideal setup is. Maybe I could do the front and rear later. For example the limo in the front and the e500 in the rear.

I did the front and the rear at the same time. Front was easy, took about 10 min once it was in the air. The rear was awful. the front is a little different between 210 and but it’s very straight forward and not difficult. The rear is the same procedure. You will have to unbolt the rear subframes completely and drop it about 6 inches to be able to clear the sway bar. I was lucky and didn’t have interference from the exhaust and the driveshaft was able to move enough with the subframe to make access. You could only do the front and there would be a big improvement it does most of the work anyway. Also from my research the thickest bars for w124 with m104 is the limo bar on the front and a w210 AMG bar rear.

The steering gearbox was a little labor intensive and I had to rent a few tools like a pitman arm puller. Also during the install my coupler fell apart when the gearbox was removed so that had to be replaced. I think total install time was 6-8 hours including running to get tools and taking a lunch break. Also spent some time fine tuning it and centering the wheel. You should also be doing a power steering fluid and filter change during this install. Overall I wouldn’t say the install was super difficult but you should definitely look up the entire procedure and account for the tools and workspace you have.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I did the front and the rear at the same time. Front was easy, took about 10 min once it was in the air. The rear was awful. the front is a little different between 210 and but it’s very straight forward and not difficult. The rear is the same procedure. You will have to unbolt the rear subframes completely and drop it about 6 inches to be able to clear the sway bar. I was lucky and didn’t have interference from the exhaust and the driveshaft was able to move enough with the subframe to make access. You could only do the front and there would be a big improvement it does most of the work anyway. Also from my research the thickest bars for w124 with m104 is the limo bar on the front and a w210 AMG bar rear.

The steering gearbox was a little labor intensive and I had to rent a few tools like a pitman arm puller. Also during the install my coupler fell apart when the gearbox was removed so that had to be replaced. I think total install time was 6-8 hours including running to get tools and taking a lunch break. Also spent some time fine tuning it and centering the wheel. You should also be doing a power steering fluid and filter change during this install. Overall I wouldn’t say the install was super difficult but you should definitely look up the entire procedure and account for the tools and workspace you have.
Thanks appreciate it. I will finish my other projects and probably do the Sway bar replacement soon. I will most likely just do the front then consider the rear later, thanks for you advice.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,279 Posts
in hard cornering, the front and rear sway bars interact, they should be balanced to each other, and the spring rates for best cornering, like if you do track days.

if you're not drivng that kind of hard, then leave them alone. it will ride smoother with stock.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
in hard cornering, the front and rear sway bars interact, they should be balanced to each other, and the spring rates for best cornering, like if you do track days.

if you're not drivng that kind of hard, then leave them alone. it will ride smoother with stock.
I am fine losing a little ride quality for performance the car is ridiculously comfortable even lowered. Also just curious don’t you have to get different bushing for the other kinds of sway bars: e500/sport line/limo. Does anyone know any aftermarket brands like eibach or renntech that has sway bars for the w124. I can’t seem to find any oem ones. Do you think it is possible to upgrade the front sway bar for $100-150?

·
Registered
2002 E430 1994 E320
24 Posts
You would barely notice any difference in ride quality. I recommend the limo bar as it is the thickest one that is readily available. Part number is 124-323-77-65. You can find them used in your price range. Last I checked you could still buy them new from the dealer for $200-$300. The bushings will be different too. Depending on what sway bar you get there are 5 different part numbers in different sizes.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
You would barely notice any difference in ride quality. I recommend the limo bar as it is the thickest one that is readily available. Part number is 124-323-77-65. You can find them used in your price range. Last I checked you could still buy them new from the dealer for $200-$300. The bushings will be different too. Depending on what sway bar you get there are 5 different part numbers in different sizes.
Looking on eBay and all I could find are these 1243236165/1243236665 stabilizer bars

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Now I found the 1243236865 w124 sport line bar and the 1243237065 e420 400e bar. I really want limo cause the thicker the bar the bigger the difference.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,875 Posts
Now I found the 1243236865 w124 sport line bar and the 1243237065 e420 400e bar. I really want limo cause the thicker the bar the bigger the difference.

Here is the list of all the sway bars with part numbers and thickness.

FWIW its not likely that you would notice a significant difference even in track/autocross driving with a stock E320 drivetrain by switching to stiffer sway bars.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Here is the list of all the sway bars with part numbers and thickness.

FWIW its not likely that you would notice a significant difference even in track/autocross driving with a stock E320 drivetrain by switching to stiffer sway bars.
Your telling me I won’t notice I difference in handling when I corner hard around turns when I get much thicker sway bars? I noticed a massive difference when I lowered my car on h &r springs and bilstien b8s. There is still a good amount of body roll I would like to get rid of. I know some of you will say just changing all the bushings will make a difference but I have checked most of them, they seem to be fine, the rear control area seem to be a little worn out as when it driving on the highway on extremely windy days the car gets pushed side to side a little.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,173 Posts
If you have the patience, wait 10 days and I'll tell you if I can tell a difference on my W201.
Everything but the front sway bar has been converted to sportline.
Sportline spirngs all around
Bilstein B8's
J7.5 rims installed in the past.

These above already made a huge difference on the body roll and handling.

Ordered the front sportline sway bar couple days ago from the dealer. It was $250 with discount for the W201. Shipped from Germany.

The W201 is already starting to feel like the sportline W124 I had in the past.

I'll let you know if I can even tell the difference. Probably not but I wanted to complete the conversion. We'll see.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
If you have the patience, wait 10 days and I'll tell you if I can tell a difference on my W201.
Everything but the front sway bar has been converted to sportline.
Sportline spirngs all around
Bilstein B8's
J7.5 rims installed in the past.

These above already made a huge difference on the body roll and handling.

Ordered the front sportline sway bar couple days ago from the dealer. It was $250 with discount for the W201. Shipped from Germany.

The W201 is already starting to feel like the sportline W124 I had in the past.

I'll let you know if I can even tell the difference. Probably not but I wanted to complete the conversion. We'll see.
I can definitely wait 10 days. Did you also already do the rear sport line sway bar? Also the w201 is a much different car when it comes to handling so it’s probably almost as good as a highly modified w124. Lastly do you think if I did a limo sway bar instead of sport line the difference would be noticeable?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,850 Posts
I doubt you'd tell the difference unless you're out there hard charging on all corners all the time.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 99 Posts