Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am suffering internally. I have received this code 17 cel randomly for the past 3 years, I have owned this car. i checked all the pins with my blink code reader and this is what I got:
Pin #6
5)Left front seat belt buckle switch (S68/3)
6)Right front seat belt buckle switch (S68/4)
9)SRS malfunction indicator lamp (A1e15) or time limit for DTC readout /erasing exceeded
I think these are old codes from when I removed my drivers and passenger seat and started the car. I have tried erasing them once hopefully they go away this time. The SRS light is not lit.

Now here is the important one:
Pin #14
7) CAN databus: Message from CC/ISC control module (N4/3) faulty
Reception from engine control module (N3/4) faulty

When i hold down the built in us code reader button on pin#3
I get 17 blinks (17 Data exchange malfunction between individual control modules)
Recently i have been driving and when i accelerate like wide open throttle it kicks down and goes and about 4,000 rpm it hesitates strongly and then slowly accelerates, In other words seriously delayed acceleration. Doesn't feel right at all. It used to just go. Car has to be running rich. I just don't know what to do. Could it be the ecu? I tried replacing the cc/isc module with a used one and it still threw cel codes so I put the original back. I have replaced throttle body with a rebuilt one. Cruise control works and idle seems to be fine. ovp relay has been replaced with brand new kae. Spark plugs replaced with oem bosch ones. Fuel injectors replaced with refurbished rebuilt ones. Fuel filter has been replaced. Brand new bosch maf. New oem air filter. Engine wiring harness replaced with rebuilt delphi one, I believe from 2003. The car sometimes takes longer than usual to start, sometimes remote start doesn't work and I have to manually hold key ignition. Oil change and transmission fluid have both been done pretty recently. Idk what else to do please help!!! Mercedes tried to diagnose this car twice about a year ago and were the most useless people on earth, they told me it was my 02 sensor throwing like 40 cel but it was their crappy eco junk harness. I have lost trust for most mechanics and always end up spending money and not solving the issue. If anyone want me to perform diagnoses test I can do them, I greatly appreciate your help and time!

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also something I noticed is the roar of my fan clutch past 4500 it doesn’t seem to disengage, the car feels more sluggish with the fan clutch. Today I drove it at 7:30pm and the weather is about 82 degrees fareinheit outside. The issue seems intermittent today I was flooring it and it felt normal other than the roaring fan clutch at like 6,000. I’ll drive it tomorrow when it’s really hot outside and see what that does no check engine lights have appeared today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,535 Posts
Sounds like the issue is exactly what the code reader says "CC/ISC module faulty"

As for your $20 eBay/Facebook marketplace fan clutch, I think you already know what the issue is.

·
Premium Member
1995 E320 Wagon
77 Posts
Pull the rubber vac hose from the fuel pressure regulator, if you have any amount of fuel coming out of there, that'll cause a long crank. Replace it.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the rubber vac hose from the fuel pressure regulator, if you have any amount of fuel coming out of there, that'll cause a long crank. Replace it.
I’ve tried it with car running nothing comes out. How long does it usually take to come out, would it leak or smell like gas?

·
Premium Member
1995 E320 Wagon
77 Posts
I’ve tried it with car running nothing comes out. How long does it usually take to come out, would it leak or smell like gas?

Very little will come out sometimes, use a small pick and reach maybe 1/8" in and see if the tip comes out wet. It will smell like fuel yes. I've also seen them not leaking and be bad especially if the car has been sitting a while.

·
Registered
W124
5,300 Posts
The morning after driving the car, pull the vacuum hose at the regulator and see if there is a drop or two of fuel present. If there is, its toast. Good news is they are only $30 at places like FCP. I just did this very job on my e320 TE last week.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The morning after driving the car, pull the vacuum hose at the regulator and see if there is a drop or two of fuel present. If there is, its toast. Good news is they are only $30 at places like FCP. I just did this very job on my e320 TE last week.
Ok thank you will try this!

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the issue is exactly what the code reader says "CC/ISC module faulty"

As for your $20 eBay/Facebook marketplace fan clutch, I think you already know what the issue is.
Tried replacing it with the used on cruise control still works fine and idle is still good, only issues are super noticeable at wide open throttle. Gas mileage is meh. Idk anymore

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think my fpr is fine, I just spent an insane amount of time doing research and have starting diagnosing my modules. The CEL is saying that there is a fault in communication between individual control modules. Code 17 is what I get when I use the built in code reader. And I also get 42 blinks on pin 8. Both oth them lead to cc/isc module defective, apparently my ecu and isc/cc module are having trouble connecting. I have done test based on this website: STAR TekInfo

I first tested the resistance of my ecu

I got 119 ohms

Then I tested the ecu connector
And also got 119 ohms

Then I test my idle speed control module

I also tested out the wiring harness

The last thing I haven’t tested is the N59 diagnostic module under the drivers side knee panel only in california models is it possible that could be defective?

Also I am starting to think my cars is having acceleration issues cause I lost some transmission fluid when doing the radiator change and I never added it back. Is that possible?

·
Premium Member
1995 E320 Wagon
77 Posts
You could disconnect the diag module, itll run fine and you won't have any cel

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could disconnect the diag module, itll run fine and you won't have any cel
Or would replacing it suffice not sure if it’s good or bad will have to test it tomorrow with a multimeter

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What else could be chasing a code like this? Also I have never changed my lower wiring harness would that maybe fix the longer than normal starts like up to 3-4 seconds sometimes?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hows your cam sensor, those tend to crack and leak oil
I see a very light tin layer of engine oil on it but it doesn’t seem like it’s cracked. Would this be a cause of the issues I am seeing?

·
Premium Member
1995 E320 Wagon
77 Posts
Remove the plug, you might see a hairline crack. I would think. But I always replace them because of the cracking. How do the plugs look? Coil boots clean? I've seen the valve cover gaskets into the spark plug holes

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Remove the plug, you might see a hairline crack. I would think. But I always replace them because of the cracking. How do the plugs look? Coil boots clean? I've seen the valve cover gaskets into the spark plug holes
Replaced the valve cover gaskets a while ago, I will have to check most this stuff when I open the engine up more. Spark plugs were replaced about 6,000 miles ago. Never replaced coils but I replaced rubber on the wires and the coil packs. I feel like my car is leaking a little at the timing cover gasket which I would rather leave alone do to the super hard job.

·
Premium Member
1995 E320 Wagon
77 Posts
Replaced the valve cover gaskets a while ago, I will have to check most this stuff when I open the engine up more. Spark plugs were replaced about 6,000 miles ago. Never replaced coils but I replaced rubber on the wires and the coil packs. I feel like my car is leaking a little at the timing cover gasket which I would rather leave alone do to the super hard job.

The timing cover in front of the cylinder head, its not that bad, just time consuming. You gotta lube the upper part of the "U" seal and itll slide in a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts