Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD 1983 230E
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I recently picked up a set of 99 clk light weights for my 92 w124 300E I tried to have them put on using lugs off of a 85 300D they fit perfect in the front but they made an odd rubbing noise in the rear. I believe they were rubbing on the parking break cable. I need proper lugs to install these and don't want to drop $160 at the dealer. So I need some help finding the proper sized lugs at a reasonable price.

Thanks, CQ

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,983 Posts
I ordered some lug nuts before for the E420 wheels I have on my W201, don't remember the site now but I did a google for lug nuts and the cost was like $2/each.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,981 Posts
Another source

Thanks now I just need some one who knows the specs of the lugs...
Here is another good source, hi-quality lugs..

Home

call them, they will tell you exactly what you need.

As far as length, they told me the bolts need to stick through the back side of the wheel 17mm to 20mm.

They have all the sizes and can get you exctly what you need.. call them

·
Registered
2005 E320 4MATIC, 1994 E320, 2000 Ducati M750
135 Posts
WOW Thats just plain freaky! I have a 94 E320 Also in Midnight Blue with the same exact wheels on it. I like the look of them, very European

·
Registered
1982 300CD 1983 230E
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think im going to go with these lugs:Wheel Adapters|Lug Nuts|Wheel Spacers

The shank on the 85 300D lugs I tried earlier were 31mm shank and these have a 24mm so should easily clear the parking brake mechanism.

Can anyone measure the shank on their clk shorty lugs? Please

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,756 Posts
I believe you are missing the point. Take an original wheel and bolt. Measure how much of the bolt extends out of the mating surface of the wheel. Now take the same measurement on your replacement wheels. The difference is the correct lenght you need. This should take you about 5 min. to figure out.

Jayare

·
Registered
W124
5,175 Posts
I always liked those wheels. To me, they are reminiscent of the Dunlop pin drive wheels Jaguar put on the D-type in the 50s. Great to see them on a 124. I have the later clk wheels on my 400e but like these early ones better.

·
Registered
1991 300CE / Smoke Silver
25 Posts
Just went through hell installing a set of 16" staggered CLK wheels on my '91 CE Coupe. First off, turns out that I needed wheel spacers for the front wheels to clear the calipers. Next I sadly discovered that the lug bolts i was planning on using with the "new" CLK wheel set were WAY too short and thus began my quest to find the right length... Fortunately the dude installing the wheels was very diligent and wanted me the hell out his shop :rolleyes: -- and ended up FINALLY sourcing 20 of the right length / width lug bolts... Only took 4 hours... :surrender:

FYI: tires on this setup are 205/55/16 in front and 225/50/16 in the back (thanks Oscar!) :bowdown:

Here's how it all ended up looking... Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
I think it paid off...worth the effort. Nice and uncommon look. :)

·
Registered
2007 S550
21 Posts
Just went through hell installing a set of 16" staggered CLK wheels on my '91 CE Coupe. First off, turns out that I needed wheel spacers for the front wheels to clear the calipers. Next I sadly discovered that the lug bolts i was planning on using with the "new" CLK wheel set were WAY too short and thus began my quest to find the right length... Fortunately the dude installing the wheels was very diligent and wanted me the hell out his shop :rolleyes: -- and ended up FINALLY sourcing 20 of the right length / width lug bolts... Only took 4 hours... :surrender:

FYI: tires on this setup are 205/55/16 in front and 225/50/16 in the back (thanks Oscar!) :bowdown:

Here's how it all ended up looking... Thoughts?
Outstanding!

·
Registered
1997 s320, 1994 E320 Cab, 1989 300ce (parting out soon)
525 Posts
we had those on a ce for awhile and loved them...

my wife now has 17's and another look.

we just moved the cl wheels over to my son's 190e.... he gets a ton of compliments... makes the 190e look "grown up"

·
Registered
'87 300D
1,394 Posts
I have a set on my E320 Cabriolet.. The last owner painted them black so I need to get around to fixing that issue. I also need to get the proper lug bolts. Currently running a set of VW lugs

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,548 Posts
I believe you are missing the point. Take an original wheel and bolt. Measure how much of the bolt extends out of the mating surface of the wheel. Now take the same measurement on your replacement wheels. The difference is the correct lenght you need. This should take you about 5 min. to figure out.

Jayare
Should take a minute chief.

Use the spare wheel. (Assuming the spare is the original spare...)

·
Registered
682 Posts
wtf?

if the bolts you had on the original wheels fit, and didnt catch the spring, they can be made to fit the new wheels, as they are a bit too long for the new wheels.

to do this follow the simple steps below;

using your original wheel, put the bolt through, and measure how much sticks out the back.

put the bolt throught the new wheel, measure how much stick out the back

now cut the differance off each bolt, dress the thread end, and fit the wheels...

1 hour, job done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts