Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post here and I wanted to share with you the build I'm doing right now.
It is as the title states an an AMG swap into a W124 coupe.
The car is originally a W124 CE300-24v produced and registered on the 23rd of april 1993 (which coincidently is also the day I was born a year later) and has been driven now around 330.000 km and located in Reykjavík Iceland.
I bought the car at auction in december of 2014 from an insurance company and it was damaged, rusted and needless to say, had seen better days. I then start restoration of the car in the spring of 2015 and finish doing most of the body work and rust repair in about two months. In addition I bought the AMG body kit and had a 3-coat layer candy paint specially made for me.
I was so happy when I starded using the car as probably no one would be surpriced of but always felt that the old school engine and transmission system was missing a little "spunk". I used the car as is for about 1 and a half year and then stored it over the last winter.
During its time in storage it had cought a bad moisture problem, both with interior and in the engine as the seats had gotten a little moldy and the engine shut off when it got warm (electrical issues).
I was at a crossroads. Was I supposed to fix what was wrong with the engine or go in another, more interesting direction? I srtarted looking around for v8's on the internet but didn't really find anything that caught my attention, and in alll honesty what I really wanted was a 6.0 v12 to fully replicate the legendary Hammer we all know and love. After a while I had put the matter behind me and stopped thinking about it as I had untill my best friend told me about an ML55 his cousin had in his yard which he had baught for body parts for his own ML55. My Interest was sparked to say the least so I bought the car. My intentions were set, I was coing to swap over the engine, the Brembo brake kit, and the stainless steel exhaust system. the transmission I got from an e50 AMG. I'm currently at that stage in the swap that I have gotten the new M113 engine into the car and am starting to meet new promlems such as what kind of steering rack to use? I would greatly appreciate all inputs on that. I will try to keep you guys posted as the builds goes on and all ideas are welcome, naysayers however can hold there tounge and go somewhere else

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I'd imagine just getting the engine in the car is probably the easy part of the swap. Good luck, nevertheless! :thumbsup:

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
Welcome aboard and keep us posted on this journey. You've got some work to do and hopefully this board will be able to offer constructive solutions to the project.

Good luck

Jayare

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

I am a lot further on in the build than the pictures suggest. I just couldn't post any more pictures because of some silly limit. the engine and tranny are in. the steering rack (from a W203) is in and I am currently working on threading the exhaust system which will require some customization and welding since there is obviously no way to plug and play the stainless system from the ml55 into my C124. As well as that I have stared custom making the wide body fenders since you cannot buy them anywhere. Not a real issue though and I have always been more of a fan of custom making as much as I can and keeping alive the old school handmade taste of cars.
I will try posting more pictures soon and if you have any questions feel free to ask or fallow me on snap chat: aron.11
Also if you know of any other similar coupe swap please tell me or send links :smile

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
Use the search function of the forum and look up the wide body build of member RBYCC.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And now for the most recent activity, the engine bay. I have figured out the steering rack problem and the way I am going is with a rack from a W203 wich will sit on the custom built motor support beam (for lack of better words). It is worth mentioning I did have to cut the firewall so that the arm from the steering wheel to the rack would have a straight line. That included the removal of the gas pedal, witch was going to be reaplaced anyways. In addition to that the radiator has found its place under the hood after a bit of convincing... The end resault there was that the headlight housings were in the way and needed to be trimed a little. So to sum things up; the engine bay has been rebuilt, welded and painted, the radiator sits on its own and the steering is in place. now the motor can be dropped in next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update

And now the motor and transmission are in!!! I can now finally start working on the drivetrain, exhaust and brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Over a year later ...

Did you end up finishing the job? Interested in the rack, was it important to change to rack or would custom headers be able to clear the steering box?

Was the wiring overcome?

KJ in Oz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah. The project is still going on but the steering was overcome with components from about 4 different cars. The wiring is done and the car runs and drives. However the final tuning needs to be done on a road test that will be done later. The car still needs a full wheel alignment as I restored the subframe and changed every bushing under the car and all rubber removed for polyurethane. I have just been finishing up on creating the full metal widebody rear arches and am currently working on the final customising touches on the front E500 wide front fenders. The car is scheduled to drive next summer, I had put it to rest last winter as the steering situation had gotten way to deep under my skin and I needed a break from it. I am going to do the same thing this winter but while the car rest with a coat of poly primer I will spend time on retrofitting the headlights and customising the taillights with an LED with a fiber optic twist on the original design. Stay tuned, and you can fallow me on Snapchat: aron.11 I am usually more active there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
CE55 AMG
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing