Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,648 Posts
Use your car's VIN number to order the latest pressure modulator. This will eliminate any questions.

Good luck

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500E many W124 Wagon and R129 500s
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
thanks for replies ,didnt know wether MB would send me the old style modulator and the modified ones were -
after market better modified ones that improved the slider by replacing with the pointed pin type ?

going to fit myself once get use of a ramp - and borrow a vacuum tester to see if pressure holds on the line to the modulator .

whats wrong with kent brockman ??? I bet hes pointed loads of people in the right direct on faults
i know he is selling things but ,at lest he gives the heads up on how to do certain jobs

go ken :)

al uk

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,899 Posts
whats wrong with kent brockman ??? I bet hes pointed loads of people in the right direct on faults
i know he is selling things but ,at lest he gives the heads up on how to do certain jobs
Maybe you mean Kent Bergsma from Mercedessource.com???

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Maybe you mean Kent Bergsma from Mercedessource.com???

hahaha

a case of mistaken identity doh !

never invite me to a police identity parade .......... ill end up picking out the victim !

apologies to kent brockman - sorry mate :oops:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
still need to know which colour modulator to buy ???

al

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
The one the dealer sells you after looking up your vin# in their system. That is the one designed for your specific car.

·
W124 Moderator
12,648 Posts
still need to know which colour modulator to buy ???

al
Using your VIN number to order with will get you the correct modulator for your car. Plain and simple...Forget all this color business.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
yes but ,if i get one from the dealers will it not still be the old tube style slider or will benz have upgraded t the later pin
type ?

i would rather use the later version for improved shifts if possible .

al

·
W124 Moderator
12,648 Posts
The dealer will sell you the most current version of the modulator for your car.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
ok I thought they may still supply the original type without the pin and supply the type with the long barrel

I will go ahead and order now

many thanks for all replies

al uk

·
Registered
96 E320
155 Posts
@MAYFAIR, if you're still planning on doing the ATF oil and filter swap then Mobil D/M might be a cheaper alternative. I've found it here in the states for ~$18 per case of 6:

but I don't know if you will get killed with shipping. Maybe a local UK supplier has the same for a decent price.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@MAYFAIR, if you're still planning on doing the ATF oil and filter swap then Mobil D/M might be a cheaper alternative. I've found it here in the states for ~$18 per case of 6:

but I don't know if you will get killed with shipping. Maybe a local UK supplier has the same for a decent price.
hi

at this stage going to try just replacing the regulator as if that works i will leave filter and fluid alone -as previous posts suggest it may enhance the harsh shifts -we will see once modulator fitted and go from there

cheers al england

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your inconsistent shifts have me wondering if your problem is with the vacuum line. Would be well worth it to replace every vacuum line that it shares vacuum with as they may look ok but leak.

It is true that cold trans fluid is thicker but because of the cold the trans pump is pumping less fluid than when it’s warm so it’s not clear cut.

If the car can shift ok under some conditions then I’d almost completely rule out the transmission itself & focus entirely on transmission shift control. If you know the fluid is of the right type, looks ok, and is at the right level after a full 20 min warmup then it’s unlikely to be causing intermittent shift issues as well.

Just my .02, worth what you paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Your inconsistent shifts have me wondering if your problem is with the vacuum line. Would be well worth it to replace every vacuum line that it shares vacuum with as they may look ok but leak.

It is true that cold trans fluid is thicker but because of the cold the trans pump is pumping less fluid than when it’s warm so it’s not clear cut.

If the car can shift ok under some conditions then I’d almost completely rule out the transmission itself & focus entirely on transmission shift control. If you know the fluid is of the right type, looks ok, and is at the right level after a full 20 min warmup then it’s unlikely to be causing intermittent shift issues as well.

Just my .02, worth what you paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hi thanks for advice -- my plan is to turn down the modulator and if instant improvement - great ,at that point will replace the module -if stays the same will follow your advice and then replace the vac lines and joints with
a new set .
will report outcome soon either way

cheers al uk

thanks for

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
hi

turned the modulator white plastic adjuster as far as would go anti clockwise and,,,,,,,,,,

smother shifts ,except on 2nd to third still had the clunk ,so i have no more adjustment anti clockwise

will now have the vacum pipe checked when i can borrow a vacum gun ,if thats ok will try a new modulator

*just an after thought would turning the lever clockwise a bit in various positions help ? or once its right round
anti clocwise is that the softest it can be ?

i am getting there bit by bit :)

al durham uk

·
W124 Moderator
12,648 Posts
Remember, a super soft shift will put much more wear on the clutch disk than a somewhat firm engagement.

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
^This X 100. Softer shifts comes are severely reduced transmission longevity.

You want quick & firm shift, not "smooth as butter" ones.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts