Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,228 Posts
Texting becomes completely hands free. You get a text it pops up a notification, push read and the headunit reads it to you. It then asks if you want to reply, say yes or no. If you say yes all you do is say what ever you want an it will read it back to you, then you say send it. Just like having a conversation.
At this point why not just call the person?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a Simple way to add Carplay and NOT have to hack up the dash at all. They ash tray will be blocked though.
Check out the Pioneer DMH Modular series of Carplay head units. They don't play cds, but who does?

From pioneer.com:

Pioneer’s Modular Solutions receivers are designed for applications, often newer vehicles, with limited depth behind the dash that prohibits the installation of a traditional 1DIN or 2DIN receiver. This installation flexibility is achieved by physically separating the LCD touchscreen display from the sub-chassis that contains the CPU, control system, terrestrial radio tuner, amplifier and input/output connections. This allows the sub-chassis to be mounted in a different location* or different horizontal/vertical orientation within the vehicle.

Pioneer’s Modular Solutions receivers are designed for applications, often newer vehicles, with limited depth behind the dash that prohibits the installation of a traditional 1DIN or 2DIN receiver. This installation flexibility is achieved by physically separating the LCD touchscreen display from the sub-chassis that contains the CPU, control system, terrestrial radio tuner, amplifier and input/output connections. This allows the sub-chassis to be mounted in a different location* or different horizontal/vertical orientation within the vehicle.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,151 Posts
LMFAO. A dash rug with a screen taped to it. What happened to "dash integration"??? The electrical tape just screams "ghetto hooptie"

I was expecting something more along the lines like this

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,845 Posts
LMFAO. A dash rug with a screen taped to it. What happened to "dash integration"??? The electrical tape just screams "ghetto hooptie"

View attachment 2619873

Once again with the talking down to other members... its no wonder this forum is basically a ghost town now since people like you keep running everyone off.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,228 Posts
Yeah, totally unnecessary. I still don't see the point, but the he's doing his thing and it's in development mode. Give the guy a break for fuck's sake.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

View attachment 2619873
Did you miss the part where I said a prototype, never said it was the final result forever, it’s not just a dash rug with a screen taped to it, will be documenting more images and videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Here are 5 images of the progress I have made in the last 2 months. It is a raspberry pi 3 b+ running emteria, a linux image iso of android 7.1.2, with an apple carplay carlinkit dongle from amazon, connected to a 7 in touch screen display. I tapped in to the drivers floor wiring route under the drivers floor mat for power, ignition, and ground. It has a max draw of 4 amps When I turn the car on the system boots up and automatically connects to my phone. When I power the car off it stays on for a minute, just in case I want to comeback and start my car without waiting for it to boot up again, and then safely shuts down. It basically works as a controller as my phone, most of you might think its useless cause you prefer having your phone on some sort of mount or holder but I just wanted a clean system. It is by all means not finished and I am being held back by lack of knowledge to program and by the hardware itself. I am beyond pleased with the outcome of my progress though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,941 Posts
Not for nothing, I've been a long time member here, but since I've purchased my 500E's, I spend most of my 124 forum time on the 500Eboard site, (I own and drive 4ea 124's, and the 500Eboard is almost all 124 specific). On the 500eBoard forums, members like "sbaert" would be banned after the first warning was ignored, and a warning would come swiftly. What is with this guy? Everyone has a right to their opinions, including sbaert, but there comes a point where manners should be kicking in. He gave his opinion early on in the thread, why the need to keep repeating and criticizing so much? I have no interest in what the OP wants to do myself, but the OP has a right to do so without harassment. sbaert, it's not what your saying as much as HOW your saying it, and continuing to repeat in such a negative tone. sbaert should go take a ride in his perfect 124 (make it a long ride please, very long), and stay off the keyboard for a while, it may help your blood pressure as well... I really wiil not read any more of his posts... I'll just stick to the 129 forums when I'm on BW.
Too the OP, good luck at what your trying to do, there seems to be enough support in this thread to give you a good direction, and after driving my Lexus SUV, I do miss the electronic conveniences when driving the 124's, so I understand what your trying to do. Unless your 124 is a show car needing to be completely original, who cares if a daily driver has a modern enhanced radio, and original radios can always be reinstalled... just my 2 cents, and I won't repeat myself or come back to this thread to read anything sbeart continues to post... I don't care how much sbeart knows about anything, because of his attitude and lack of manners, I don't want to hear anything he has to say. If Benz World had a filter to not show threads that contain posts of certain members, I would use it and sbeart would be shunned instantly from my view.
.....good luck to the OP

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 300D, 1987 Mercedes 300TD
24 Posts
Here are 5 images of the progress I have made in the last 2 months. It is a raspberry pi 3 b+ running emteria, a linux image iso of android 7.1.2, with an apple carplay carlinkit dongle from amazon, connected to a 7 in touch screen display. I tapped in to the drivers floor wiring route under the drivers floor mat for power, ignition, and ground. It has a max draw of 4 amps When I turn the car on the system boots up and automatically connects to my phone. When I power the car off it stays on for a minute, just in case I want to comeback and start my car without waiting for it to boot up again, and then safely shuts down. It basically works as a controller as my phone, most of you might think its useless cause you prefer having your phone on some sort of mount or holder but I just wanted a clean system. It is by all means not finished and I am being held back by lack of knowledge to program and by the hardware itself. I am beyond pleased with the outcome of my progress though.
This is actually really cool. Excited to see the finished product. I thought about doing something similar but decided to just replace the old radio with a new Sony CarPlay one, getting the radio next week and then I’m going to 3D print a dash kit for it. More hopefully coming soon.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,782 Posts
Once again with the talking down to other members... its no wonder this forum is basically a ghost town now since people like you keep running everyone off.
No kidding, it's like any thread that mentions the word "modify" or "improve" these two show up and beat the OP down until he\she leaves. It's brutal and just serves to kill all discussion and evolution....

·
Registered
1995 E320 wagon
452 Posts
At this point why not just call the person?
Because I don wanna call someone to say ill be there in 10 min. Or pick up cheese at the market. Or movie is at 8pm. Thats kinda the point of the text message IMO. Quick notes. However people do have full conversations via text, that dos get annoying at which point I will pick up the phone and call haha. But being able to interact with the raciever in a voice control fashion is fantastic. Notification pops up, you press hte button on the radio and its all voice from there. Reads it to you and then you respond all via voice.

Im curious to see what OP comes up with. The modular setup I think is the way to do no question. There will be q bit of fab work however to mount it. A dash piece I think can be fabbed up on top but it will be interesting to see how it can be blended in. I would say it could prolly fit in the radio/ash trey area, but again I know the OP wants it higher up. You could get crazy and relocate the HVAC conrols down low, custom panel for the switches and the screen up high under the vents. It would be a lot of fab, but it could be done and done well I think.

Mark

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Because I don wanna call someone to say ill be there in 10 min. Or pick up cheese at the market. Or movie is at 8pm. Thats kinda the point of the text message IMO. Quick notes. However people do have full conversations via text, that dos get annoying at which point I will pick up the phone and call haha. But being able to interact with the raciever in a voice control fashion is fantastic. Notification pops up, you press hte button on the radio and its all voice from there. Reads it to you and then you respond all via voice.

Im curious to see what OP comes up with. The modular setup I think is the way to do no question. There will be q bit of fab work however to mount it. A dash piece I think can be fabbed up on top but it will be interesting to see how it can be blended in. I would say it could prolly fit in the radio/ash trey area, but again I know the OP wants it higher up. You could get crazy and relocate the HVAC conrols down low, custom panel for the switches and the screen up high under the vents. It would be a lot of fab, but it could be done and done well I think.

Mark
If one of you could like scramble up the order of the AC vents and HVAC controls to make a CarPlay double din unit fit in the line of sight it would be a more effective solution.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,031 Posts
The fresh or air conditioned comes off the top of the HVAC airbox behind the dashboard, and is directed out that upper vent. there's absolutely no room in there to duct it lower down, where it would hit your thighs and belly rather than torso and face.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
The fresh or air conditioned comes off the top of the HVAC airbox behind the dashboard, and is directed out that upper vent. there's absolutely no room in there to duct it lower down, where it would hit your thighs and belly rather than torso and face.

View attachment 2620205
Thanks for this info, I am going to continue improving my system to show you guys how fun and useful having a custom infotainment is.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts