Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 300D, 1987 Mercedes 300TD
24 Posts
And again, if you can't afford a new car that has this tech junk then you ought to quit whining about how you want your 25 year old car to look and resemble a modern car.
It’s kind of rude to call it whining. While it is time and effort to want a fancy new radio in an old car, these old mercs are great and will out live many new cars coming out.

Maybe don’t hate on people who want to preserve and modernize these cars on a forum, focused on these cars.

Personally I love being in my 124 and I just want a badass CarPlay radio. Literally the only bell and whistle I think it’s missing from a new car is the radio. And maybe heated seats lol. The styling is timeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,151 Posts
Exactly, "the styling is timeless". If you're wanting a iCar, then you need to get a modern rig that resembles a stripper joint and looks outdated in less than 3 years when the next mobile OS version is released.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,228 Posts
I hesitate to put my dick back in this ugly gangbang, but I'll say that while I can appreciate a modern headunit in an older car, going all these lengths to get apple carplay in a W124 is a fool's errand because there is no ergonomic benefit. In a new car with the screen mounted up high and controls in the console and steering wheel it is easily viewed near the line of sight and controlled where your hands rest while driving. This is not the case with a retrofitted aftermarket unit. I currently have smartphone integration on headunits I have installed in multiple cars and do not use that feature. Much better to connect via Bluetooth and use all functions off the phone directly with it mounted up high on an AC vent.

But y'all do y'all.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,031 Posts
what does Apple Car Play do that any modern cell with google maps and (music player of choice) can't do ??

Hey Google.... (beep)... Drive to Napa Auto Parts in Felton! .... (driving to, Napa Auto Parts in Felton).
Hey Google.... (beep)... Spotify, Play Jerry Douglas.....

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,228 Posts
I don't get it either. Siri does all that anyway. In a car that has room for a 2din headunit I can see Carplay being a feature to look for in a stereo, but not in a 124.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,031 Posts
if you do hog out the ashtray to make room for a double din, then you lose the cigar outlet, which makes charging devices on the road a pain.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,228 Posts
Yeah, I know a 2din can be installed in a 124 but not without a fair amount of work only to have a screen right above your shifter.

On the plus side any modern 2din stereo will have at least one USB plug to make up for the loss of the 12v outlet.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
On the plus side any modern 2din stereo will have at least one USB plug to make up for the loss of the 12v outlet.
yeah, but is it a 0.5A 5V USB 1.0 port, or is it Apple, or is it Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0/3.0 (mostly Samsung), or is it USB PD (the new USB 3 charging standard) ? so many standards to chose from. my Pixel 3A wants PD, 18 watts. I'm pretty sure my Pioneer's USB port only outputs 2.5 watt 0.5A

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,228 Posts
It's been a while since I've shopped for a new 2din but usually the latest quick charge tech is supported. I get about 1.5A from a 2015 Kenwood 2din in my W201.

But anyone doing a custom fab 2din install should be able to have some extra 12V or 5V power installed at the same time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's been a while since I've shopped for a new 2din but usually the latest quick charge tech is supported. I get about 1.5A from a 2015 Kenwood 2din in my W201.

But anyone doing a custom fab 2din install should be able to have some extra 12V or 5V power installed at the same time.
I thought about adding a USB port with a converter from the cigarette lighter.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
i actually added a cigar plug AND a dual USB charger to the front inside of the rolltop box on my cabrio.

re; QuickCharge, the problem is, the Qualcomm QC spec is incompatible with the USB 3.0 PD spec.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It’s very possible. With fabrication I’m using PETG to try and 3d print a design. I’m just not very good with modeling but slowly learning!

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
consumer grade 3D printers mostly print PLA which is quite likely to soften and bend/sag at summertime car interior temperatures... now, if you have access to professional 3D gear that can laser print high temperature polymers, or even sinter light metals like aluminum, then no problem. alternately, you can use the PLA to sandcast aluminum parts if you have access to a foundry.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,228 Posts
I've helped a few people install hidden USB ports wiring a 5V converter behind the dash with the cable tucked away so it pops out on the side of the console between the seat. If you need to replace the cable it can be fished back to the USB plug. Sucks that in order to have the 12V outlet exposed the ashtray light is on at night. Goddamn distracting and annoying.

Luckily the W201 has a place for 2din.

The front cam is quite honestly a pretty useless feature but the headunit supports it and the camera was only about $10.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts

the white wire is aux in to the rear of the non-bluetooth Nakamine CD deck that was in that car when I bought it.

·
Registered
1995 E320 wagon
452 Posts
I wish people would just answer questions instead of just saying dont change it, it didnt come that way. Its really a bummer in the forum where people come to for answers. If they wanted to hear dont mess with it they would buy something like a rolls and not mess with it. ...anyway.

You can get a bluetooth headunit pretty cheep, and it doesnt have to be crap. Pioneer makes em down to about 40$, im a hug fan of pioneer. I feel like you get the best bang for your $. You can get them mechless (no CD player) and they are nice and short. Double DIN headunit is the way to go for carplay, however fitting one in the dash is a mess in a W124. You can also get them car play ready, it would be a bit more old school, but they will still interface properly with siri and what not. As much as I dont like iOS, apple got car play right. Seemless integration on any headunit, damn impressive. Android auto is a frekin joke. But I totally understand wanting a headunit that does what you want. Having music in my car, all done right makes it more pleasant to drive, and sometimes more motivated to fix that other stuff.

·
Registered
1995 E320 wagon
452 Posts
Exactly, "the styling is timeless". If you're wanting a iCar, then you need to get a modern rig that resembles a stripper joint and looks outdated in less than 3 years when the next mobile OS version is released.
And dude....please stop of your not gonna help with info in the thread. A modern headunit is a simple improvement over what was there. If all your cars still have the factory cassette units and trunk mounted CD changers then well you have no place interjecting in this thread and It would be wonderful if you just stop.

A modern headunit adds a lot of functionality to any car. My wife has a honda fit. Not an "iCar" by any means. I took out the factory CD player which was in a stylish molded in section of the dash, and with a kit installed a modern double din touch screen headunit. Back up cam and all. Now, the car is safer cause of the back up cam. And its also safer with the voice controlled features of car play. Its so good if I could easily put one in my W124 I would because its not a car from the 60s where it would look funny. Its a modern car and deserves the modern touch. If your still using a CD changer and a cassette deck then you shouldnt be on the internet ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
he said he already HAS a bluetooth head unit in there. but he was babbling on about relocating the air conditioning to the back seat so he could put a big touch screen where the a/c vents are in the center dash, or something like that.

·
Registered
1995 E320 wagon
452 Posts
Haha I didnt read that far. ANd to answer uor question bout what car play does that your phone cant do...well it mirriors the phone on the radio. All the phone functions you need are not on the headunit. Maps, phone functions etc. Texting becomes completely hands free. You get a text it pops up a notification, push read and the headunit reads it to you. It then asks if you want to reply, say yes or no. If you say yes all you do is say what ever you want an it will read it back to you, then you say send it. Just like having a conversation. The maps, music, it all interfaces perfectly. It makes any headunit that has it a complete nav/phone/everything system. So I can totally understand why you would use it or want it. I wish google did such a good job. I hate to say, google maps is falling short of apple maps now, and android auto sucks. Its clunky and not well designed. All of this is designed to keep your hands off the phone and on he wheel, Everyone will always mess with the radio, so it made sense to me. Its one of those things that makes perfect sense once you use it

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
I put my phone in a holder so its right above the dash but below the windshield. head unit on a w124 is way too low to be paying any attention to while driving.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts