Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1993 W124.034
3,829 Posts
It's only original once, and these cars have managed to age gracefully thanks to the lack of modern tech.

Nothing feels as old as using a piece of tech that is one (or more) generation behind, is out of support, and/or can no longer be updated.

Case in point, would you use a car's OE integrated nav system or would you prefer to use Google Maps or Waze? Case closed

·
Registered
7 Posts
You won't find a single DIN Apple CarPlay unit, they don't exist. I came a cross a recent R129 for sale and saw an interesting aftermarket radio in it from Continental Tire of all companies :

This modern head unit has the similar amber glow, and looking at the back of the stereo, they have the same connections as in R129/W124. It also has modern bluetooth for phone and music. Has anyone installed one of these?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You won't find a single DIN Apple CarPlay unit, they don't exist. I came a cross a recent R129 for sale and saw an interesting aftermarket radio in it from Continental Tire of all companies :

This modern head unit has the similar amber glow, and looking at the back of the stereo, they have the same connections as in R129/W124. It also has modern bluetooth for phone and music. Has anyone installed one of these?
Took me 15 seconds to find this (no joke). I already have a awesome sounding updated JVC unit with Bluetooth. Bluetooth is nothing special anymore. The first thing when I got this car was gently take out the cool original radio and install a Bluetooth one and Continental is an awesome tire brand, but I didn't know the made radios,I would look into other radio name brands more like jvc, kenwood, pioneer, alpine, sony, etc.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
crutchfield.com/S-lDCqwKcoUqK/p_130AV3500/Pioneer-AVH-3500NEX.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=651939800848&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=336379056846&awdv=c&awug=9031993&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh_jD6a-x5QIVvxitBh2X8w_aEAQYAyABEgIdWfD_BwE
Here is way better brand the first one I sent, is a company that isn't known for quality products. I just want apple car play again not a plain Bluetooth radio I already have, but good luck with your search.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,072 Posts
So you're looking to install a screen to sync your phone to, and then stream bluetooth audio from that to the headunit?

Why not just get a smartphone mount that puts the iPhone in the field of view you want rather than add extra shit?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So you're looking to install a screen to sync your phone to and then and stream bluetooth audio from that to the headunit?

Why not just get a smartphone mount that puts the iPhone in the field of view you want rather than add extra shit?
As I said that is my current setup and I just want to add apple carplay, alright, I just want it in my field of view so I don't have to look down while driving. I don't want to make it to complicated but If I can get what I want, I will. I'm starting to think the easiest way is to put a stupid flip out carplay single din head unit in and replace my jvc radio, but it will cover the ac controls when the screen is out and won't be where I want it.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E280 Facelift
5 Posts
Don't know if this will be what you're looking for but Pioneer has a new single din head unit that might solve your issue? It syncs your phone and the head unit and enables you to use Apple Car Play/Android Auto.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,496 Posts
The easiest way definitely is a flip-out, the next easiest is an iPad with mount. Anything else is custom. For that you can follow the few who built in a double-din, or talk to a few local stereo installers who may have some good tips. Keep us posted though.

·
Premium Member
1997 C140 S500, 2003 CLK430 Cab, 2005 E320 4MATIC Wagon
109 Posts
I would recommend a less aggressive approach, leverage Grom Audio and adapt Bluetooth technology to the existing head unit and leverage your Phone or iPad. This does not provide the full functionality of Apple Car Play but moves the car from the 20th to the 21st Century. You can use the Phone or iPad as your Hotspot and run your apps, not the most elegant but functional. I did this upgrade in my W140 and kept the stock head unit. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Don't know if this will be what you're looking for but Pioneer has a new single din head unit that might solve your issue? It syncs your phone and the head unit and enables you to use Apple Car Play/Android Auto.

Thank you, but my current setup is very similar to that already.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The easiest way definitely is a flip-out, the next easiest is an iPad with mount. Anything else is custom. For that you can follow the few who built in a double-din, or talk to a few local stereo installers who may have some good tips. Keep us posted though.
I might have to go custom, flip out and an iPad are things I just do not want, but if I fail, I will most likely go flip out.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I would recommend a less aggressive approach, leverage Grom Audio and adapt Bluetooth technology to the existing head unit and leverage your Phone or iPad. This does not provide the full functionality of Apple Car Play but moves the car from the 20th to the 21st Century. You can use the Phone or iPad as your Hotspot and run your apps, not the most elegant but functional. I did this upgrade in my W140 and kept the stock head unit. Just a suggestion.
Thank you, I checked out grom audio and this is a smart solution but far to complicated, I might come back to this is if I don't succeed though.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts