Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have done countless research and can't seem to find a w124 with a proper apple carplay display. I have seen single din screen that fit in a w124 that pops out, I just don't want that. I was curious if anyone as installed an apple carplay head unit in the line of sight preferably about the height of the instrument cluster. The closest thing I could find was a dual binnacle dash that had a Garmin GPS setup: https://www.benzworld.org/threads/w124-dual-binnacle-dash-built-in-nav.1637114/page-4. Is there any way to maybe just have a screen of apple carplay that transmits the audio via Bluetooth to my JVC head unit installed in place of the factory radio?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,843 Posts
LOL. Your car was built a time when Apple was 90 days from closing the doors forever. Besides, you've got bigger fish to fry to diagnose that car of yours.

If you want Apple carplay, buy a car that supports it from the outset (2015 and up)

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1993 W124.034
3,829 Posts
I would get a nice single DIN stereo with bluetooth and a good phone mount for the Windshield or dash. Its a far cleaner look than tacking on a full size stereo or other screen somewhere and will get you essentially the same result.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,496 Posts
There is no plug & play double-din kit for the W124, but several people have posted over the years how they crammed one in there. Maybe an iPad or mini mount like one of these:

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL. Your car was built a time when Apple was 90 days from closing the doors forever. Besides, you've got bigger fish to fry to diagnose that car of yours.

If you want Apple carplay, buy a car that supports it from the outset (2015 and up)
I know my car has had a lot of issues but I have addressed all of them head on and now the check engine light is gone and the car seems to be running perfect, it only get bad mileage, but I guess I drive and accelerate way to quickly.
I know the car wasn't built for apply car play I'm obviously talking aftermarket. I would rather keep my car and figure a way adding it than "buying a newer car" which I probably can't afford anyways.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would get a nice single DIN stereo with bluetooth and a good phone mount for the Windshield or dash. Its a far cleaner look than tacking on a full size stereo or other screen somewhere and will get you essentially the same result.
That is my exact set up right now I have a JVC KD-X340BTS with Bluetooth and my phone is magnetically mounted right below the center ac vents. I just want to fit like a screen above the center ac vents that can connect to my phone via car play Bluetooth and transmit the audio to my already installed head unit via Bluetooth. This is complicated but I bet It has been done. i was thinking a raspberry pi could do something like this.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no plug & play double-din kit for the W124, but several people have posted over the years how they crammed one in there. Maybe an iPad or mini mount like one of these:
This would be a decent Idea but I really don't want stick an iPad in there as it's absolutely massive and would be a hassle.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know now that what I want is possible. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7T3YnyUIAAlRL-?format=jpg&name=small
This looks very clean, the only very small issue I have: is that it completely removes the center A/C. It is a single din radio with a screen so it slides in the ac vents, and the wiring was rerouted up.Me saying this now is just a silly idea: Rerouting the AC behind the center console to convert the car so it has rear A/C. Then installing this unit in place in the ac vents. I think I don't have the skill level to do this, but it would achieve my dream to make this car so much better.

·
Registered
16,843 Posts
....Me saying this now is just a silly idea: Rerouting the AC behind the center console to convert the car so it has rear A/C. Then installing this unit in place in the ac vents. I think I don't have the skill level to do this, but it would achieve my dream to make this car so much better.
Again . . . as in all your other posts . . . if you already know the answers why do you keep asking the question time and time again???

And how is a stereo going to make a car "so much better" besides being a magnet for the 5 finger discount shopping crowd (theft)?

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1993 W124.034
3,829 Posts
Again . . . as in all your other posts . . . if you already know the answers why do you keep asking the question time and time again???

And how is a stereo going to make a car "so much better" besides being a magnet for the 5 finger discount shopping crowd (theft)?
Again... as in all of your other posts... putting down a guy for asking a question which you don't approve of.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I don't know the "answers" though I like how this community just can't seem to deal with updating the cars. I mean I understand I am talking to people probably 2 or 3 times older than me, but asking a community full of 100s of people if anyone has done this mod or something similar doesn't mean I know the "answers". I would also put a privacy cover or something to make it not get stolen. Adding apple car play really makes this car a better daily driver.

·
Registered
16,843 Posts
I don't know the "answers" though I like how this community just can't seem to deal with updating the cars. ...Adding apple car play really makes this car a better daily driver.
It's only original once, and these cars have managed to age gracefully thanks to the lack of modern tech.

Nothing feels as old as using a piece of tech that is one (or more) generation behind, is out of support, and/or can no longer be updated.

Case in point, would you use a car's OE integrated nav system or would you prefer to use Google Maps or Waze? Case closed

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's only original once, and these cars have managed to age gracefully thanks to the lack of modern tech.

Nothing feels as old as using a piece of tech that is one (or more) generation behind, is out of support, and/or can no longer be updated.

Case in point, would you use a car's OE integrated nav system or would you prefer to use Google Maps or Waze? Case closed
I don't even know what your point is. I just want apple carplay, not a car-intergrated nav is outdated in like a year or two. That's wwhy every car made is 2019 has car play and android auto integrated, it is updated over the cloud and uses ios and android's software. That why if I get a head unit or some type of device with apple car play I would never want to "upgrade". This car is most likely never gonna be sold, all I'm doing is personalizing it to my liking.

·
Registered
16,843 Posts
...I just want apple carplay, not a car-intergrated nav is outdated in like a year or two. That's wwhy every car made is 2019 has car play and android auto integrated, it is updated over the cloud and uses ios and android's software. ...
Sounds like you need to buy a modern car that has Carplay and other modern day electronic garbage

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like you need to buy a car that has Carplay and other modern day electronic garbage
As I said again I simply cannot afford a new car, I am a high school student entering college. I don't care for adaptive cruise control,auto braking, and all the other bells and whistle, all I simply want is carplay. I have no problem spending 200-300 dollars doing some custom work and installing a good system in the car. If i could afford an e63s, c63s, amg gt 4 door or a 2019 a class I wouldn't be here, but I can't. If you don't have advice to help me don't bother responding by trying to discard me from what I want to achieve. You are more of an expert when It comes to keeping the car original cause of your attitude towards modifying the car.

·
Registered
16,843 Posts
What you're seeking you're not gonna find unless you customize it yourself and pay customized prices. You're trying to marry a car that was last sold over a quarter century ago to your current mobile device that is "hot stuff" until the next model comes out .

That's like trying to marry a Playboy model and expecting a home cooked meal every day. I haven't found that either.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What you're seeking you're not gonna find unless you customize it yourself and pay customized prices. You're trying to marry a car that was last sold over a quarter century ago to your current mobile device that is "hot stuff" until the next model comes out .

That's like trying to marry a Playboy model and expecting a home cooked meal every day. I haven't found that either.
I can kind of see where your coming from but apple carplay has been here since 2014, that's 5 years now. This technology is integrated in a lot of aftermarket head units. I guess i will just talk to people with raspberry pi's and try to make a device that has apple carplay that is custom. Or I could just rip my center ac vents out and shove in a unit with apple carplay built in.

·
Registered
16,843 Posts
At a minimum you're gonna be looking at ripping the entire dash out, rerouting A/C, modding/molding the dash, wiring, etc, etc, etc.

If it's the latest tech you want, just lease and keep the lease as short as the phone industry model cycle. 2 year max, 1 year is ideal. That's the best way to avoid technology obsolence. I know several people that do this since they want to stay current and don't want to be bothered with maintenance and service or ownership.

And when stuff doesn't work, just roll your car into your nearest Apple Genius Bar for troubleshooting. ;)

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At a minimum you're gonna be looking at ripping the entire dash out, rerouting A/C, modding/molding the dash, wiring, etc, etc, etc.

If it's the latest tech you want, just lease and keep the lease as short as the phone industry model cycle. 2 year max, 1 year is ideal. That's the best way to avoid technology obsolence. I know several people that do this since they want to stay current and don't want to be bothered with maintenance and service or ownership.

And when stuff doesn't work, just roll your car into your nearest Apple Genius Bar for troubleshooting. ;)
Honestly, ive considered these other options, but I simply don't want to get rid of my car. The driveway is full and ... whatever the point is I'm gonna do this. I will comeback to this thread to check for any tips or leads i can get on this project. If I figure it out my self I will post pictures of my success. Thanks for pitching in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts