Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's that time of year again.

Our cars are exposed to rigid temperatures and wretched precipitation. Seems like all the pictures available on the interwebz of our cars are of absolute perfect conditions. Let's see less of those perfect snapshots and some more where these cars are in less than ample conditions.

It's my car's first time on the snow, but I took the precautions by anally undercoating everything I could. Here are some pictures I snapped when I was playing around on the snow sideways. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
A refreshing perspective. We all spend so much time detailing, it's easy to forget that these cars are workhorses and we ask a lot from them.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
That was in '08. It's now sitting in my shop all torn apart.

Here it was in '07 with big balloon W126 snow tires:

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,970 Posts
300E feeling cold...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
Last winter was a tough one for SE PA. I took this shot exactly one year ago:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,396 Posts
This is the time of year that solicits smiles from working 4matic owners. If you haven't owned one in deep snow or icy roads, then you can't know the feeling.:D

However, my right rear wheel bearing is going out and a wintry trip is coming up. Have to do the repair more or less outside...uggg!:eek:

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I hope you realize that 124 wagon's rear bearing R&R is not something you can do on your own, right?

·
Registered
1989 300e 3.0L black on black. Stock besides alpine radio/upgraded speakers
54 Posts
Bsmuwk

That white 2 door is beautiful man. Just look at that front end.. LOOK AT IT. The posture.. Beautiful. Distinct. Eye catching. Timeless. Beautiful. The front yellow fog lights is my personal having on in winter.

Great photos in here. Also love the older pair sitting in the snow in front. Mean looking.:D

I have a 89' 300e black on black. Gonna snap a few shots against the winter background in a couple days

·
Registered
E320 s124 E320 w124 project
368 Posts
I hope you realize that 124 wagon's rear bearing R&R is not something you can do on your own, right?
Sorry to go OT but I see you have a very early 124 :cool:
I`ve some AMG side skirts if you`re interested
Forgot to add that you can have them for the shipping price

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Its not a w124 but fun none the less :

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
I just have to take the assembly off and have a machinist press out the bearing and press a new one in. Actually I've done a couple of these myself in cars with similar rear wheel bearings, but now lack the tools. But yes thanks, I've read the whole procedure on peachparts.

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I just have to take the assembly off and have a machinist press out the bearing and press a new one in. Actually I've done a couple of these myself in cars with similar rear wheel bearings, but now lack the tools. But yes thanks, I've read the whole procedure on peachparts.

Kevin
Just to be clear, the wagons use a different wheel bearing than the sedans, and it's an epic PITA to replace. I attempted to do exactly what you stated. Pulled the bearing carrier and brought it to my local MB indy; a nice old German fellow named Reinhart. He and his crew spent several days attempting to press the old one out, and failed. He indicated that he was set up to do those on the car with a big ol' slide hammer, but couldn't get enough stationary purchase to make it happen unbolted. You may get lucky, but I've heard similar tales of woe from a number of other S124 owners. I finally just had a low mileage bearing carrier sent to me from one of the big MB wrecking yards in Texas. Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Just to be clear, the wagons use a different wheel bearing than the sedans, and it's an epic PITA to replace. I attempted to do exactly what you stated. Pulled the bearing carrier and brought it to my local MB indy; a nice old German fellow named Reinhart. He and his crew spent several days attempting to press the old one out, and failed. He indicated that he was set up to do those on the car with a big ol' slide hammer, but couldn't get enough stationary purchase to make it happen unbolted. You may get lucky, but I've heard similar tales of woe from a number of other S124 owners. I finally just had a low mileage bearing carrier sent to me from one of the big MB wrecking yards in Texas. Good luck
Did he have a large hydraulic press? It's my understanding that yes, the old bearing is completely destroyed by the time you get it out-even with a press. But you make a good point....I might wait until after the trip...just to be sure I'm not under any pressing deadline (pun intended).:rolleyes: The bearing is about $125 to buy. If anyone is interested, I'll update after the process is done.:thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Did he have a large hydraulic press? It's my understanding that yes, the old bearing is completely destroyed by the time you get it out-even with a press. But you make a good point....I might wait until after the trip...just to be sure I'm not under any pressing deadline (pun intended).:rolleyes: The bearing is about $125 to buy. If anyone is interested, I'll update after the process is done.:thumbsup:

Kevin
Yes, he has a big 30/40 ton press, if I recall. I also have a 20 ton press, but it's really difficult to hold the carrier in a manner that allows the ram to stay centered on the bearing, which is why it's probably easier to use a slide hammer. I still have the bearing I had intended to install. The bearing really doesn't look any different than a standard VW FWD unit, which can be pressed out with the carrier still on the car. I can't figure out what MB had in mind with this setup.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Yes, he has a big 30/40 ton press, if I recall. I also have a 20 ton press, but it's really difficult to hold the carrier in a manner that allows the ram to stay centered on the bearing, which is why it's probably easier to use a slide hammer. I still have the bearing I had intended to install. The bearing really doesn't look any different than a standard VW FWD unit, which can be pressed out with the carrier still on the car. I can't figure out what MB had in mind with this setup.
I'd be really surprised if the machine shop I use can't get that bearing out. They do mostly large, commercial work, with a good smattering of smaller, problematic stuff. I had problems presented to me like this when I was a Journeyman mechanic at a gold mill; if it was put in by man, it can be taken out by man.;) It's probably more a function of expanded outer race, rust and fatigue/time making it 'solid' in there. We'll give it a shot.....I suspect the dealers doing this are sending the carrier off to a good machine shop. MB probably had the clearances too tight and not allowed for time/use...rendering it very difficult to press out. A good machine shop will have ways to jig up unusually shaped objects for the press.

Kevin

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Way to stay on topic fellas. :thumbsup:

and we need some more participation, I know you folks drive your cars in the snow!

These are just some pictures I found on the internet..
I'll be sure to get some more of my car when it snows some more. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts