Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W124 92 300TE - blown transmission ??!! Diagnosis

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  1stMB300TE 
#1 ·
Recently decided to undertake a rebuild of my wagon with 220k miles. The only thing I didn't fix was the shifter bushings, which have been rattlin for the past year. In the past 3 weeks I have replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets, head gasket, timing cover gasket, sparkplugs, valve seals, thermostat, sls air accumulators, radiator & hoses, air and oil filters. I've also redone the interior electrical and fixed all the issues inside. No small undertaking. Had the car exactly how I wanted it..... Then....

Today, as I was backing out of my parking spot, I shifted from R to D. I heard a heavy mechanical "cachunk" noise which I assume was the transmission blowing. The engine disengaged, and the accelerator had no affect on the car.

Now, I can put the car in park and it keeps rolling.
I put the car in drive and hear a metallic clicking type of noise when I depress the accelerator, but no movement
I put the car in reverse and there is also no affect.

What can I check to diagnose? Could it be the linkage and how can I check?? Thanks!

#3 ·
Finally had the heart to get under the car (I was afraid of what I'd see). Good news is that it's not the tranny. I have a broken axle at the rear passenger side. It's cracked completely at the wheel side of the half shaft... I'm wondering if I should replace the whole axle, or just look for the shaft.

Check out this link. full axle assembly

#5 ·
The plot thickens. Had the axle replaced, the next week, as I was accelerating from 55 to 65, same axle broke again, then the brake froze and I skidded. Got it towed back in and the mechanic was stumped. Broke at the same place. No broken springs on the e brake. No apparent brake issues. We drained the differential which oozed out like cold molasses. Could that have been it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.