Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300D Turbo (RIP), 1995 E420, 1993 400E
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A quick question... Just noticed that I have an oil leak coming from the driver's side of the car on my 400E. There is oil/wetness in that area that I can see from above, but can't tell where it's coming from when looking from above. From below (not on a lift or jacked) it appears to be in line with the crossframe member. I had an issue on a diesel before, on the same side that I traced back to the oil pressure sensor o-ring. Is the pressure sensor on this side of the car? Any ideas what can be leaking on this side?

A side note... I took the car for an oil change at a quick stop place that I trust, only becuase the owner is a Benz fanatic and collector, and he usually looks after my car pretty well (has has not one, but 2 1960's M100s and a 190SL roadster along with 2 W124 Cabrios). The day I went in, he wasn't there, and some other guy was working on the car. I noticed afterwards that the oil level was slightly higher than normal according to the dip stick. Usually, when adding the usual 8 quarts or so, she reads just about 1/8" from the bottom of the red indicator on the stick. All of my W124s have read similar. This time, the red plastic bit was saturated as well. Could an overfill cause a leak? Is there a vent, etc on that side that let off excess. The oil level is still a bit higher than normal, but seems to be coming down. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
A leak on that side would usually be PS fluid, either the pump, the gearbox or a hose. If it's oil it could be left valve cover gasket. Could be a failed left motor mount too. Oil pressure sensor is on the other side. I'd take some oil out - level should be about mid-way between the min and the max marks.

·
Registered
1983 W123 300CD OM617: 1992 W124 400E M119
235 Posts
I'd bet dollars to donuts on that car it is a PS leak. The M119 is not known for being an oil leaker. That title is reserved for the 617 in my 123. *GRIN*

It's not rocket science to replace it, but there are a good number of parts that need to come off. Time consuming to DIY, pricey to have it done, but I think the PS pump will eventually leak on every 119-powered 124.

·
Registered
1987 300D Turbo (RIP), 1995 E420, 1993 400E
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK... It's definitley an oil leak. Where the heck is the oil sender on this bugger. I remember on my 300D Turbo (apples to oranges, I know) it was on the DS of the sump, and when the O ring went bad, it made an awful mess... Any other ideas befor I take the old gal to the mechanic? Also, I just recently moved... Any good mechanics in the Streamwood/Bartlet Illnois area that anyone would like to recommend?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,429 Posts
Oil sender is on the passenger side under the oil filter area. Just a screw on piece. Could tighten the oil pan gasket a bunch of my bolts were loose when I changed mine.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I know my 400E sluffs off extra oil when overfilled as it was when I got it. I would check th oil pan gasket also as I said before.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
They are right about the power steering fluid also. Mine is starting to get bad looks like oil once it gets dirty oozing down the block and onto surrounding hoses.

·
Registered
1993 300E 2.8 (sold), 2012 C250 (wife's), 2004 C230 (sold), 2005 E320 (sister-in-law's)
257 Posts
By the way, I have a 1993 300E 2.8, and it has multiple spots for minor oil leaks. My mechanic friend swear that if I am using synthetic oil (which I do) right now, switching to non-synthetic traditional oil would really help (or even fix it totally) with the oil leak. Just wondering if anyone here has such experience? Thoughts or comments? Thanks!

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,667 Posts
By the way, I have a 1993 300E 2.8, and it has multiple spots for minor oil leaks. My mechanic friend swear that if I am using synthetic oil (which I do) right now, switching to non-synthetic traditional oil would really help (or even fix it totally) with the oil leak. Just wondering if anyone here has such experience? Thoughts or comments? Thanks!
Well, this is a two year old thread and yes, many forum members have developed all manner of oil leaks/weeps when jumping over to syn. oil. Your best bet is to go back to regular oil at your next change. Syn is just to slippery for the seals on older motors. This has been discussed about a zillion times on this forum. You can read other opinions by using the search function.

Jayare

·
Registered
1993 300E 2.8 (sold), 2012 C250 (wife's), 2004 C230 (sold), 2005 E320 (sister-in-law's)
257 Posts
Well, this is a two year old thread and yes, many forum members have developed all manner of oil leaks/weeps when jumping over to syn. oil. Your best bet is to go back to regular oil at your next change. Syn is just to slippery for the seals on older motors. This has been discussed about a zillion times on this forum. You can read other opinions by using the search function.

Jayare
Someone in another forum (Ultimate W124 Engine Oil - MBClub UK) mentioned that:

"synthetic or mineral etc is not anything to do with how 'thin' or 'thick'
(viscocity) the oil is.

A 10w-40w will be identical viscosity whether it is fully synthetic or totally mineral.

The advanatge of fully synthetic is that it will hold it's composition better and longer than mineral.

It will not degrade as quickly."

Is this true? Do people agree with this statement? Thoughts or comments?? Thanks!

I use 10/40 fully synthetic in my 178,000 mile 104 engine."

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
After over 30 years of experience including building race motors my OPINION
is use a synthetic if you plan on keeping your car for a long time.

Regardless of weeping oil which my 118K 400E doesn't do WITH synthetic.

If you can afford to, use it.

I use Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W40.

You can also use high milage 10W40 or 15W50 Mobil 1.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my 95 E320 wagon, 167K miles, I have a "weeping oil" leak, I guess...small amount of oil, I guess, on garage floor and can see apparent oil leak from passenger side middle to rear of engine but strangely repeated checks of oil stick since last oil change (couple thousand miles ago) shows it to be full. And oil is golden color. Just had 2 transmission coolant lines replaced at rec of mechanic but that definitely did not stop the leak.

Now being told by same mechanic that head gasket is probable issue but why is the oil stick still registering full? Could oil have been overfilled last oil change and small leakage not showing on oil stick because of something such as that? Also, car does run great when I drive it...love the darn thing and want to drive it 1300 miles to Florida sooooooon. Should I? I don't want to end up stranded or damage engine.

Would use of synthetic or adding Slick 50 to next oil change do anything positive at this stage to oil leak? I am such a simpleton.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts