Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea on how to change the 2 strut grommets on a 124 Wagon? After a quick look, it appeared that I may have to take off the whole hatch, just to get past the hatch hinge and reach the struts -- all to slip a small grommet over the strut. But it looks like it would be so EASY to just undo the pin on the strut and slip the grommet on, without undoing anything -- if only I could reach in there some how.

Hopefully, this is just a 15 minute job?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Nope, it's a pain..Just did hatch stuts on my 88 TE. getting that pin out is rather a pain as is getting it back in. I used a piece of safety wire bent up to hold the pin to slide it back it along w/ some long skinny screw drivers.

Do you have the manuals for your 124?

Jonathan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew it. It looked too "almost easy" to be anything but a downright pain.

I have the Mitchell CD manuals, but for some reason the data disk no longer reads. (that's what I get for not repairing anything for 10 months). I do have a printout from MBZ of the "strut/hatch" conections.

I'm trying to figure out how used the safety wire.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Here is a link to the pics I took while doing the hatch stuts..I have a few of the tool made of safety wire as well..

Hope that helps... Note, it's about 20 meg of High res images..
http://jono.mbfans.net/124Hatch.zip

Jonathan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. The pics were extremely useful and I finally got things done. I did notice that one of the struts seemed to be leaking excessive fluid, so I gather I'll be changing it soon. Thanks again for making things go smoother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts