Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for an Engine Control Module for my 89 W124 300E. Bosch part no: 0-280-800-256. Am hoping it will fix my rough idle problem. Tried everything else. Problem is lean mixture at idle, otherwise runs perfectly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had to change injectors - solved the rough idle and throttle punch hesitation.
the ecu is the last resort to checkng all else. Vacuum leaks are a big one. Check every rubber boot, line and tube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good day! I was reading posts earlier today for information on the same type of issues... rough idle, hesitant off the line, lurching dangerously when the engine 'caught'. One of the posts led me to search air/fuel mixture. From there I learned how to adjust this mixture - which according to those who posted would solve my problems. I followed the instructions to the letter and I am excited to say all of my issues have been resolved! Essentially you run what is called a 'duty cycle' on the #3 pin and verify that the % is between 45%-50%. Mine was 91.6%!! I adjusted the 3mm allen screw after successfully removing the little steel ball the factory places above the tower that houses the screw by incrementally moving it clockwise as I was running way too rich. All is running perfect now and was so worth the effort! I sincerely hope this helps you. The post to look up is dated 10.21.2005 by GHM and the two main contributers were Jayare, GHM, and Yal. Anyways - my problems are resolved. Hope yours get that way soon!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello Gentlemen.
I am also looking to get an ECU for my W124 CE300 1988
Vin WDB1240502B093196
The ecu that the car came with is 0 280 800 286, but this doesn't sit in the bracket for it. locks are on the wrong side.
I checked the ECU in my other 1991 e300 and that has part number 0 280 800 206 and it sat in the bracket perfectly as it should.

Is there a way to find out what would be the correct ECU number for my car so i can find replacement.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
The ECU p/n# is also going to vary depending on which market the car was originally destined for.

For example: a US spec car will have a different ECU than a identical Euro spec car, even if both cars are the same year, model, etc.

The best way to find out exactly which ECU your particular car should based on Vin# is by visiting the dealer. They should be able to look it up in EPC

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am in Pakistan.
I have been to dealership and they refuse to even touch these cars.
they are too busy fixing new cars and simply tell me that they don't have the equipment for my car without even looking at it
theyd happily do the paint/body job but nothing mechanical
i have to resort to finding solutions on my own

I have always been able to find help here with the EPC
i even considered getting the software myself but i was told i shouldn't use it on my regular laptop, would be better to find an old computer and just put epc in it and use it... if i remember correctly.

I have shared the VIN Number above: WDB1240502B093196
Any chance you could help me out with this ??

been driving the car for two years with the same ECU but now that i know its not correct, i am having trouble sleeping at night :p
my pickup is also less on the coupe compared to my sedan though they are the same engine.. swapping ecu didn't make any difference
my guess is its the fuel distributor so i am sending both cars to garage today to swap them to see if it makes an impact. Once i know the issue id order one from USA/UK.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
EPC won't take your vin# on my system. Strange. Was your MB made in Germany or by Telco in India???

Anyway, just be aware that MB used numerous part#s for the ECU on these motors. For the most part they are pretty much interchangeable as long as it fits and is from roughly the same vintage.

Just make sure you get a ECU from a 3.0L motor as opposed to a 2.6L M103

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have checked the ECUs and one of them says 12V 6Zyl (this is the one from my sedan)
the one that was installed in the coupe earlier only says made in spain on one corner with no more information besides part number

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
okay great !!
we have established she was made in Germany.
Any chance I could get the exact ECU number from EPC ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Zamanumer
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing