Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their cruise control replaced. I have already had the switch replaced, and it did not fix it. I am getting anywhere from $800 to $1200 for either a reman or
new part to repair. There are only two other parts it could be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,155 Posts
M104 engines are exclusive inline 6, not V6.

Non functioning cruise controls is almost related due to the eco junk wiring disease (i.e. throttle body) and the damage it can cause to the CC/ISC.

If your car has ASR, then the setup is different (different throttle body, different module)

None of the components are interchangeable

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,927 Posts
Used harness or ETA ( throttle body) can be found on eBay. Harness, there are two styles, $250 and $500 respectively, etas two types as well. $200 to $350. ETA is dependent on if your car has ASR or not Yellow triangle in center of speedo means you have ASR, or traction control. Is the quote from mechanic?

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
If your car has ASR, then you should have a ASR idiot light by the check engine light AND a yellow triangle in the middle of speedo which lights up briefly when starting the car.

Throttle body and CC module are 2 separate items but they work together as a set.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'm center of speedometer ASR cars have a square yellow warning light with a triangle with exclamation point. When you turn key to first position it illuminates. If there is nothing but blacklp in the speedometer face no ASR. Throttle body is the butterfly that opens and closes to regulate the amount of air the engine consumes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm center of speedometer ASR cars have a square yellow warning light with a triangle with exclamation point. When you turn key to first position it illuminates. If there is nothing but blacklp in the speedometer face no ASR. Throttle body is the butterfly that opens and closes to regulate the amount of air the engine consumes.
Thanks so much. I will check this today. Mercedes dealer has offered to do a 21 point inspection for free next
week. I will find out how many issues the car really has.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much. This helps. I will check today to see if my car has ASR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much. This will help me check my car to see if it has ASR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your car has ASR, then you should have a ASR idiot light by the check engine light AND a yellow triangle in the middle of speedo which lights up briefly when starting the car.

Throttle body and CC module are 2 separate items but they work together as a set.
Thanks. That helps me understand perhaps why my cc is not working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used harness or ETA ( throttle body) can be found on eBay. Harness, there are two styles, $250 and $500 respectively, etas two types as well. $200 to $350. ETA is dependent on if your car has ASR or not Yellow triangle in center of speedo means you have ASR, or traction control. Is the quote from mechanic?
Thanks. My brother--in-law said that the wiring looks really bad under the hood. I will have the wiring harness replaced.
Yes the quote was based on me just asking for the price of the cc module or another part that is required. They have
not looked at the car to determine what is not working. I have had the switch already replaced.

Now the gas pedal will sputter if I hit it quickly when trying to enter into a separate lane and get around a slower vehicle.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Now the gas pedal will sputter if I hit it quickly when trying to enter into a separate lane and get around a slower vehicle.
All signs of the eco junk disease in full effect. Until you replace the engine harnesses at a minimum, along with the throttle body (same disease) these cars cannot be diagnosed nor cured.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Take what the dealer says with grain of salt. These are old cars and most techs see them as near antiques.
Without question, all 1994/1995 e320's, and 1993 300e's will need both harness and eta. Do a forum search under eco junk wiring. It will be elightenting.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Then your car is not equipped with ASR. However, the symptoms you describe fit the eco junk problem perfectly. You simply need to verify the manufacture date on the harness (behind the battery splash shield) and the throttle body. If the sticker on the throttle body is not legible, it is guaranteed eco junk.

As stated prior, without new engine harnesses and throttle body these cars cannot be diagnosed properly.

And always replace the throttle body gasket with a new genuine MB piece whenever R&R'ing the throttle body to avoid vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally found a good mechanic who is going to replace the harness, throttle body, etc. The dealer mechanic said
I do need a new harness, and that may fix a lot of my problems, i.e., cruise control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts