Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is what i've got:

I have a 1983 Mercedes Benz 300d turbo diesel. It currently is not running and comes with two engines. Car is tan exterior with a burnt sienna interior (very clean.) There is 170k on the body.

Engine one is the original and had 170k on it, however it threw a rod. There are good parts like a new alternator etc on it though.
Engine two is a replacement and has 120k on it, it was put in the car but the car would not start, this engine was pulled from a working car, but we cannot figure out why the car will not start. The body is straight and solid, not floor or rocker rust.

I'm asking $750 firm for her and I've had a couple people look at it, but no cash. Should I just part it out? Comments please on what you think its worth in parts. (I have parted out a couple bmw's before so I know there is a decent market for parted cars.)

Cheers,
Alex

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think you are giving up too soon. If the engine came from a running car, then there can't be much wrong. Would have to be either no fuel or non-working glow plugs. Make sure all glow plugs are getting power and are good, and that all the injectors are getting fuel when cranking.

If I lived in your area, I'd sure give you $750 if it had a good body and interior, and get it running myself. Don't think you are out of reason on the price, but a non-running car will scare some people off.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Alex,

If you have storage space - I'd say keep it until the prices of Gas here in Ohio catches up with Diesel. Then think about selling. Now is not a good time to sell with Diesel price $1 more than regular gas.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I do love the car, but being in college it is not practical to have a car sitting (I wish I had time to work on it.) I'm also planning to go abroad next year so thats why the car must go. I rather see it go to a good home then see it sit.
Also I have no garage :( or storage space.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes you can part it out for more than you are asking with no problems.

I parted a 300D a few months ago for more than that and i only sold small bits here and there, i sent it to the scrapper pretty much with the complete motor/trans minus injectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts