Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My '85 300D has been making two intermittent noises from the rear and I want to know what it could be. The first and most often noise is often a semi hard clunk, always when hitting a bump and in other situations that oscillate the suspension. The second noise sounds like someone hit a guitar chord, but it only rings for a second? This "ringing" ONLY happens when turning AND hitting something/going into driveway etc. I am curious the source of the noises and how important it be fixed quickly. I have done all 4 shocks in my ownership (shocks about 4 years ago) and replaced all 4 coils (about 2 years ago) as well. ALSO, I replaced a rear lower control arm about a month ago, noises were there before and after that job. I am 12 months from graduating with an engineering degree, and plan on doing all bushings when I have a real job and can let the car sit at a shop. For now I have to pick my battles for what repairs fit in the budget.

Hopefully this is not too rambley, but here are my questions again after reading the situation

1. What could be causing these noises?
2. Can it be driven as is?

Thank you

·
Registered
1981 MBZ 300D Euro
2 Posts
1. The "Clunk" - Check the driveshaft center support bearing.
2. The "Ringing" - I am having this issue also and suspect it's the rear wheel bearing assembly. But I have not dug into it very far. I will deal with it when I get around to installing new rear springs.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1985 300D
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. The "Clunk" - Check the driveshaft center support bearing.
2. The "Ringing" - I am having this issue also and suspect it's the rear wheel bearing assembly. But I have not dug into it very far. I will deal with it when I get around to installing new rear springs.

Good luck...
I did loosen that bearing when messing with the control arm, so I can go back to it. I am assuming it wears out, so just replace it and get it torqued down correctly? Also, can you explain how a wheel bearing would cause that ringing? I don't think the rears have been done so it would make sense that it could be worn. Both are ~pretty~ easy so I can look when I get the car home this weekend and can rip it apart. Thank you!

·
Registered
1981 MBZ 300D Euro
2 Posts
The rear wheel bearings are quite a challenge to install correctly. It requires a special tool to get the nut off the inside of the hub and it requires the use of a dial indicator to adjust properly. At least that's what I remember. I replaced mine on the passenger side and it's doing fine, the drivers side is making a "hum" when the car goes either left or right when driving down the road (i.e. a lane change). The FSM procedure is available for download on the starteck website.
Good Luck :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts