Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home a little late last night after having dinner and drinks with some friends. I was flipping through the channels and found a automobile show on PBS. I caught it just in time as they ended a segment regarding a tiny Suzuki vs. Renault, and started talking about the w123 and w212 estates. How they're similiar, different, etc.

Here's a link to the website. I doubt the actual show is online, yet. Might just have to check your local PBS listings.

Some of their comments were "the w212 liftgate opens with a push of a button on the fancy key fob. The w123 you have to do it mannually". :eek:

They also point out that the SLS system is 30 years old, same level loading surface on both cars, commented on the 3rd row seat available on the w123 and w212, and a few other similarities.

They said that the w212 has 6 or 8 paint options while the w123 had 60something! That surprised me.

The general tone of the segment was "look at all these cool modern features of the new w212! Oh, and btw you could've gotten most of them 30 years ago in the w123 estate...:cool:

The w123 estate example they used was a 300 TD. The w212 was a 220 Diesel variant. The owner of the w123 mentioned a very limited number of 300 TD's were produced and are rare. I forget the number he quoted (very low, like 200?) but have to believe he should have included the words "in Germany" or "in Europe".

http://www.automobilesdeluxe.tv/generational-contrast-w123-w212-benz/

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,022 Posts
Got home a little late last night after having dinner and drinks with some friends. I was flipping through the channels and found a automobile show on PBS. I caught it just in time as they ended a segment regarding a tiny Suzuki vs. Renault, and started talking about the w123 and w212 estates. How they're similiar, different, etc.

Here's a link to the website. I doubt the actual show is online, yet. Might just have to check your local PBS listings.

Some of their comments were "the w212 liftgate opens with a push of a button on the fancy key fob. The w123 you have to do it mannually". :eek:

They also point out that the SLS system is 30 years old, same level loading surface on both cars, commented on the 3rd row seat available on the w123 and w212, and a few other similarities.

They said that the w212 has 6 or 8 paint options while the w123 had 60something! That surprised me.

The general tone of the segment was "look at all these cool modern features of the new w212! Oh, and btw you could've gotten most of them 30 years ago in the w123 estate...:cool:

The w123 estate example they used was a 300 TD. The w212 was a 220 Diesel variant. The owner of the w123 mentioned a very limited number of 300 TD's were produced and are rare. I forget the number he quoted (very low, like 200?) but have to believe he should have included the words "in Germany" or "in Europe".

http://www.automobilesdeluxe.tv/generational-contrast-w123-w212-benz/
Here's something interesting in the TV show host's bio. One of his cars is a navy blue 1986 560SEL. Nice taste in cars.:thumbsup:
automobiles de luxe tv Page 3

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The 300TD in European form and with the turbocharged engine was quite rare in Europe, from what I remember. There were a lot of naturally aspirated models, however.

The engine was the same turbo 617, with the same IP, but with very slight variations over the US version. I could only see enough.

I think the pedal assembly of modern MB's is still the same design as in the ones in our w123 (or earlier models).

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 300TD in European form and with the turbocharged engine was quite rare in Europe, from what I remember. There were a lot of naturally aspirated models, however.

The engine was the same turbo 617, with the same IP, but with very slight variations over the US version. I could only see enough.

I think the pedal assembly of modern MB's is still the same design as in the ones in our w123 (or earlier models).
Did you see the episode? The w123 estate appeared to be very nice. I bet there are a few parts shared between the older and newer cars. My w203 has the same door lock plungers as the w123 w/central locking.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1983 300TD, 1995 E300
436 Posts
Did you see the episode? The w123 estate appeared to be very nice. I bet there are a few parts shared between the older and newer cars. My w203 has the same door lock plungers as the w123 w/central locking.
x2 on that.

Have you noticed how many parts are still in use? I was working on a... I think it was a 2005 E55 and the windsheild reservoir cap was the same as on my 1984 300D, just with an adapter underneath.

Good part design is a mark of a good engineer. I love to see the parts I design reused!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.