Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy with a 300D (non-turbo) may have an engine with a broken timing chain... but need your help in further diagnosing this situation prior to removal of valve cover to verify.

Here is his statement, please help in answering as best as possible: "So the question is, assuming a timing chain failure, on the 300D engine, will the pistons crash into any valves that happen to be open? - as you know, when the timing belt breaks, the cam stops rotating almost immediately - but the whole flywheel/crank/connecting-rod/piston assembly
keeps rotating."

...especially the experts out there who has had 1st-hand experience with this....please post! Danke! [:)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I have heard something about non-interference engines. I can't elaborate more. Something on the line that the pistons on non-interfering engines don't hit the valves or something. But I can't confirm if the 300D non-turbo's engine is like this.

Alfie, why don't you try searching Mercedes Shop on that topic. Lots of dieseltechs there and I'm sure you'll find a lot of info usually not covered here. John Heflin at W123-World is also an MB Tech, he should know [:)]

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Mercedes engines are interference engines.

Len

1 - 3 of 3 Posts