Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
are you running an 55amp or a 65amp alternator? Does this even matter? I've always wanted a sub in my car but the alternator issue holds me back

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
65 amps.. I was going t upgrade to a 115 amp but the 65 is doing fine.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,165 Posts
Of course, it is YOUR system and if it sounds good to you, then you have it properly adjusted. But, when I got my subwoofer, it came with a sheet giving specific sizes for the subwoofer enclosure to achieve different responces. I opted for the recommended size, closed (non-vented) box to receive a "flat" response, and do my adjustments electronically.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
65 amps.. I was going t upgrade to a 115 amp but the 65 is doing fine.
No need on a diesel really, 65A should be enought to power everything.

Poly fill yes. It effectively increases the interior of the box acoustically. Deeper resonating frequency for the box which you need with 10's. Yes double sided tape for the car plates that vibrate.

·
Registered
1993 190E Sportline
66 Posts
Subwoofer

I went a different way with my stereo. I didn't want to use up a lot of the trunk space and really didn't need a lot of bass, so I put a 8" MTX in the first aid kit area.

I found a beat up first aid cover, velcro'd it to a piece of 3/4" mdf that I cut to shape. Screwed it down to the factory screw holes in the deck, didn't cut anything.

I don't have any kind of box, so it is a "free-air" setup. I realize that the trunk is far far too large in volume for optimum bass, but it works surprizingly well. It is getting about 100 - 150w from the mono channel on an old Soundstream Reference 540 amp.

I painted the mdf plate to match the deck carpet, but I am looking for a piece of matching (old-faded) carpet to cover it. I think it looks pretty good. Sounds great, at the volumes and kinds of music I listen to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
thats a clean set up any more pictures?

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
I went a different way with my stereo. I didn't want to use up a lot of the trunk space and really didn't need a lot of bass, so I put a 8" MTX in the first aid kit area.

I found a beat up first aid cover, velcro'd it to a piece of 3/4" mdf that I cut to shape. Screwed it down to the factory screw holes in the deck, didn't cut anything.

I don't have any kind of box, so it is a "free-air" setup. I realize that the trunk is far far too large in volume for optimum bass, but it works surprizingly well. It is getting about 100 - 150w from the mono channel on an old Soundstream Reference 540 amp.

I painted the mdf plate to match the deck carpet, but I am looking for a piece of matching (old-faded) carpet to cover it. I think it looks pretty good. Sounds great, at the volumes and kinds of music I listen to.
Great set-up. Do you have measurements of the MDF board you cut and what you did for the screw holes? I'd like to do this same set-up with a JL Audio W3v3 8" sub. Thanks.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts