Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Step 1 : Put in trunk

2 JL Audio 10" Subwoofers in a sealed box, With an Eclips 3620 amplifier.

Step 2; wait for order from crutch field to show up

the amp wiring kit will be here tomorrow

:)

I was also bored today so I rewired the sound system in the car from 2 channel to 4. Very easy all you need is

1) wire cutters
2)barrel type connectors for 18 guage wires
3) wiring diagram of the head unit and car
4) 9v battery to figure out which speaker wire goes where.

the wiring diagram is actually, useless.. What is really required is the knack.
YouTube - Dilbert - The Knack

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
Let me know how it sounds. I have been wanting to add some subs to the 240 but people have told me that it wouldn't sound good do to trunk wall and gas tank. I was told you would need to run ports through the rear hat rack/ deck. But I really want to do it.

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
nice set up.

if you dont mind asking how much was your set up?

and make sure to PLEASE make a wiring diagram for subs and rewiring the fader future reference and archives. :)

·
Registered
1977 280CE EURO, 1979 280CE EURO
112 Posts
Looks good, how does it sound? Was wonder about the amount of vibration you are getting from the trunk and rear deck. I was playing with the idea of dynomating my trunk and rear deck and putting some subs in the back, but the trunk lid has so much flex I didnt want to do all that work and have to take it out because of poor sound quality. I am interested to know how your project turned out and what does it sound like from the outside?

·
Registered
-88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
898 Posts
Get a T-model (wagon)! You'll get better sound from the bigger interior space.. :-D
A good amp and the speakers from your living-room and you are ready to go..
In the sedan you need more "power" to get the same sound :)

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just searched on another forum about bypassing the fader.

Really all I did was cut the plug, trace the wires and cut what was not needed. After that I was left with 8 wires. Which is where the 9volt battery comes into play.Use that to make the speakers click on to sort through the wires.

My package is out for delivery so I probably wont see it until this afternoon :)

The fuel tank should not post an issue nor anything since these subs are pretty powerful for their size

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
cool, let us know how it sounds

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Crutchfield is horribly overpriced.

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but it arrived in time.. best buy didn't have what I needed

I wired it up and boy does it hit!

I need to go through and sort out the rattles and tuck the wires a little better.. but.. it works!

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I always get my wire by the foot at the local audio shops. Cant go wrong with sealed. You might want to throw some polyfil in the speaker. Get some dynomat for the trunk lid and walls.

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
polyfill in the sub box? I have a big box of the stuff. I'll look into the dynamat. I really need to get the license plate bolted down since that is a major rattle when the subs really hit

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
polyfill in the sub box? I have a big box of the stuff. I'll look into the dynamat. I really need to get the license plate bolted down since that is a major rattle when the subs really hit
Yes, poly fill will effectively increase the size of the box. Fill it loosely about 50% or so. I have found double sided mounting tape a great help with tags.

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
So how does it sound at highway speed, on chip-sealed pavement?

Also how does it sound with a window our two open, driving down the highway?

I like to feel the rock n roll beat.

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So how does it sound at highway speed, on chip-sealed pavement?

Also how does it sound with a window our two open, driving down the highway?

I like to feel the rock n roll beat.
with the windows open at highway speeds I can still hear and feel the bass. With the windows closed its really heavy inside. Outside the car its somewhat muffled.. A lot more muffled than I had expected.

Yes, poly fill will effectively increase the size of the box. Fill it loosely about 50% or so. I have found double sided mounting tape a great help with tags.

interesting, I will have to try it.Have you done this yourself?

double sided tape for what tags? or do you mean vibrations?

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
with the windows open at highway speeds I can still hear and feel the bass. With the windows closed its really heavy inside. Outside the car its somewhat muffled.. A lot more muffled than I had expected.
Did you adjust the amp yet? When I had it in my Acura, you could feel the bass hit standing next to the car. I guess the body of a 300d is a bit thicker.:D

There's a boost switch on the amp ... and I think the last time I had it hooked up, I turned the gain way down.

·
Registered
1977 280CE EURO, 1979 280CE EURO
112 Posts
If you use dynomat as spacers between your plate and any place it contacts metal it will cut out close to all of your vibration, it is great stuff.

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's a boost switch on the amp ... and I think the last time I had it hooked up, I turned the gain way down.
really? I thought it was maxed out?

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
really? I thought it was maxed out?
These are the settings ... the "gain" is turned back and the "bass boost" is off ... you could still go lower on the "low pass" too.

Also, IMO, I wouldn't add any poly fill to that box. Trust JL Audio ... they designed that cabinet for those subs specifically.:cool:

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I played with it and it goes lower now.. sweet.

I need to sort out the rattles now. Kinda hard to do with the trunk open.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts