Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just pulling out of my drive today and as I turned to the right the steering started juddering rather seriously, it soon went but later on it started again on full lock. Also if I'm stationary I can hear a whirring noise if I hold the wheel on full lock either to the left or right.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I hope it's not my power steering pump going out....

I recently had new wheels and tracking done, but that was almost a month ago and it was fine after that until now.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,955 Posts
A whirring noise when holding the wheel on full lock is normal, the pump has to do a lot of work, that is also the reason why you should keep your wheel in full lock for a long period.

If it makes noise under other circumstances, first replace the oil and filter of the power steering pump. Those pumps are pretty bullet-proof.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Check the condition of the fluid in the power steering reservoir. Check also the tightness of the P/S belt. Could have been slipping.

When replacing the P/S fluid, drain the gear box as well. Holds around 1.5 to 2 quarts of ATF total, for gearbox and reservoir.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but cheers guys for your help and knowledge, I'd definitely replace the fluid and see to the belt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts