Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
240d with om605 swap in progress
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My RHD W123 has too much slop/play and needs rebuilt. The adjustment nut is completely seized so not sure if it's adjusted properly, and assume I need a reman box OR rebuild it myself.

Does anyone know if the rebuild kits are the same for RHD and LHD?

Many thanks
Jon

W163 and General M Gremlin
You've posted in the General forum.

A reminder.
To find the forum section = chassis for your car, please click FIND YOUR FORUM SECTION

Moving this to the w123.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been uusing this forum and others like it since 2013 and appreciate how it works.

This question pertains to more than one model as the steering box is available across several.
That's why I put it in the general forum.

If you read my signature you'd have a clue that I'm not a noob here. 馃檮

W163 and General M Gremlin
I have been uusing this forum and others like it since 2013 and appreciate how it works.

This question pertains to more than one model as the steering box is available across several.
That's why I put it in the general forum.

If you read my signature you'd have a clue that I'm not a noob here. 馃檮
I placed this thread in the w123 - your thread title was clear.
You will get more views and responses in this w123 forum vs. posting and achieving less views from members and responses, in the General Forum.
If you feel it's more suited in the General Forum to get responses.... lmk

Reactions: gr33nmachin3

Registered
1984 300D
Start soaking the adjustment nut in some sort of penetrating oil.

On the various forums Kroil seems to be the one people say works the best but next in line is the PB Blaster catalyst penetrant. You need to read the label because PB Blaster makes more than one product.

The PB Blaster catalyst penetrant is sold in Home Depot and what I have experience with. It works much better compared to the old school liquid wrench.
No matter what you use heat from a propane torch is your friend. Alternating heat and penetrant and of course time helps to loosen things up.
Even if you rebuild your steering box, I believe you still have to free up the adjusting stud and nut.
It also could be useful to safely raise both front wheels off of the ground and move the wheels (not the steering wheel) back and forth and watch the pitman/steering arm and see if that is where the play is or if the play is in the other steering parts).
If you can have someone hold/stead the pitman/steering arm on the steering box to try to keep it stationary. If you can keep it stationary and there is play the play is caused by other steering and or suspension parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses thus far!

Ive replaced and/or refreshed most of the other associated steering/suspension parts.

Ive got the PB and will apply again. I'll heat it up first then spray as Ive found that works well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know the answer to your question, but perhaps Mark Cosovich from "W123 World" knows. His shop specializes in W123s and is based in the UK.
Thanks very much! I've fired off an email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts