Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a lovely W123 1985 230ce. It driving like its on jelly at the moment and the shocks have completely gone. I was thinking of making the most of it and changing the springs at the same time and dropping it a little. H&R do a kit, but they state that the car has not got to have 'self leveling' suspension in order for this kit to work. Now I don't know if it has got a self leveling suspension as i'm no mechanic so how do I know ?

Also, I would like to drop it by just 20mm, but the springs H&R supply do it by 40mm and I can't anyone that can supply springs that drop it by 20mm. Do I have any other options to do this other than going for the full 40mm ?

I'm no mechanic and so any help would be great.

Sunny.

·
Registered
1983 240d AT1993 e320 AT
2,270 Posts
First, congratulations on the purchase.

If you are to lower your car by only that much, try to check if by changing the shock rubber mounts would do. There rubber mounts are rated from DOT1 to 4. If your current rubber mounts are on DOT 3, maybe by changing them to DOT 1 may just do the trick.

I had tried using HnR lowering springs. They are good and despite the 1.5" drop, the car still rides well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that! I certainly will look into the rubber mounts. Maybe I'll just get some Dot 1 mounts from MB, I can't see them cost much. And I'll save a load on the springs. Do the springs actually ever need changing though due to wear and tear ?

I'm planning to stick some standard 14" mexican hat alloys on it, and so just lowering it a little will make it look just that little bit sleeker. Would you have pic of your car lowered by 40mm by any chance ?

Also, any ideas if w123's had self leveling suspensions?

·
Registered
1983 240d AT1993 e320 AT
2,270 Posts
Here is a photo of my 1985 300D-Turbo on HnR springs. The rims thou are not the bundts 14s as you plan. If you so decide to slap on those 14s, the ground height would be lower. These are 17" D93 rims on 225 45 tires.

At close-up:

Front:

Rear:

As to your query if W123s self leveling suspension, the estates had them as standard for it's rear. It was designed to regulate the estates' rear height depending on the weight of it's load. No self leveling for the front thou and non for sedans/coupes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just called MB and they said what I need is is something called the shock absorber Shims which come in different sizes. They recommended a 1 Burl. Is this the same thing as the rubber mounts that you mentioned ? And do they fit on top of the shocks ?

·
Registered
1983 240d AT1993 e320 AT
2,270 Posts
I've just called MB and they said what I need is is something called the shock absorber Shims which come in different sizes. They recommended a 1 Burl. Is this the same thing as the rubber mounts that you mentioned ? And do they fit on top of the shocks ?
Yup, that's the one. I think that will be just fine. Least cost but with maximum impact. If after the change and you still find it "high", then you can resort to the idea of changing the springs.

I failed to answer one of your query on OEM springs getting "worn off". Yup, they do get worn too but not always a probability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.