1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
W123 230TE | W126 560SEC | W126 560SEL
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
W123 Restoration Prosess. (UPDATED)

Dear guys,

Thought of sharing with you all my car's restoration process. Started in September 2008 with engine work and transmission and other mechanical parts. Things done:

1) Engine (2300cc)
2) 4 Speed Gearbox (W123)
3) Fuel Injection Unit + Fuel Divider (Engine Bay)
4) Fuel Pump/Fuel Actuator (Rear)
5) Fuel Injection Wiring/Harness
6) Rear Fuel Tank
7) Rear Drive Shafts (Plus New Ori Rubber Cones)
8) Spark Plugs
9) Rotor Arm
10) Thermostat Cover
11) Belts
12) Vacuum Hose
13) Upper & Lower Gear Lever Bush
14) Solenoid Valve
15) Brake Booster Hose
16) Fuel Hose

That took 2 months and after that, sent car in to body shop. Stripped the entire car myself with help of a friend. Washed all the carpets and cleaned the interior/cushions with some cleaner.

Welding was done in a really long period, with me monitoring everything closely. Next came rust proofing and painting. Car is almost done with paint.

Next will be reassembly and detailing by me. Hope all goes well.
I'm a University student and no, i'm not some rich man's son. Just an average guy who works hard to earn money to carry on his love for classics..

Here's some photos..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More photos of the work..

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 240D California version
169 Posts
yes, nice. So since there are two of you on here who have painted/prepared their cars etc.. what was the total time period and approximate cost?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well I was asking you too dude.. I just want to get an idea as to whether I should pay the money and do all that or just drive it until it falls apart..

·
Registered
169 Posts
$4000= 14,447 Malaysian Ringgits..
You also have a wagon.. I don't know if anything over $2k would be in my best interest dollar wise.. Both of your cars look great though..

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
if I had paid the painter to detrim and catalogue the parts, knock down the old bad paint, do the bodywork, prime, shoot, buff, and reassemble the car I'd have easily been over $10,000. there is over 100 feet of trim on these cars, and countless little clips and widgets. each and every one of these takes time to work on at $50+/hour. Add it up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So the $4k was basically the spray? That's way more than I want to pay - at least for this car. I'd do it for a wagon for sure though.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True.. Cost depends on how much bodywork needs to be done.
Or how much you want to do actually. As for me, i got fed up of all the rust and am doing a proper job. Cost wise, its very high and time frame is long.. Its been 8 months plus and work is still goin on. I saved quite a bit on expenses by doing a few things myself.

Truth is, W123 will always be a rust bucket but for the love of our cars, we continue to keep it, restore it. Cos its such a beautiful, solid & reliable machine. Rust can be prevented by periodically spraying the channels/fenders/drains with rust convertor & anti-rust every 6-8 months or so.. Removing the carpets frequently & clean all dust & grim will also help..

Fender was not too hard to remove.. Tedious part was i had to travel on my bike every alternate day for all those months to monitor the bodywork. 1 hour bike ride.. But all is worth it.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to see my painter today. Last exam paper finished at 5.30pm. Rushed to the painter and saw the car! Beautiful.. Now, goin to let the paint set and sand down again with 1500 grade sandpaper. After that, give it a coat of lacquer again.. Finish should be flawless..

Ducatipaso, thats a long time. Bet ur car is in excellent shape. Mind posting some photos of the finished project?

Roy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay.. Didnt know that was ur car.. Didnt really notice your user name either. I was following that thread of urs for a long time. Its really nice.. Happy to see someone doing up a 123 really nicely. Hope all comes out well..

·
Registered
81 mercedes-benz 240D 400k (in portugal),97 Mercedes-Benz E36 Amg (dad's car)
330 Posts
Dear guys,

Thought of sharing with you all my car's restoration process. Started in September 2008 with engine work and transmission and other mechanical parts. Things done:

1) Engine (2300cc)
2) 4 Speed Gearbox (W123)
3) Fuel Injection Unit + Fuel Divider (Engine Bay)
4) Fuel Pump/Fuel Actuator (Rear)
5) Fuel Injection Wiring/Harness
6) Rear Fuel Tank
7) Rear Drive Shafts (Plus New Ori Rubber Cones)
8) Spark Plugs
9) Rotor Arm
10) Thermostat Cover
11) Belts
12) Vacuum Hose
13) Upper & Lower Gear Lever Bush
14) Solenoid Valve
15) Brake Booster Hose
16) Fuel Hose

That took 2 months and after that, sent car in to body shop. Stripped the entire car myself with help of a friend. Washed all the carpets and cleaned the interior/cushions with some cleaner.

Welding was done in a really long period, with me monitoring everything closely. Next came rust proofing and painting. Car is almost done with paint.

Next will be reassembly and detailing by me. Hope all goes well.
I'm a University student and no, i'm not some rich man's son. Just an average guy who works hard to earn money to carry on his love for classics..

Here's some photos..
aww mate i totally back you on restauring the car how ever am not so sure of that front grill man and that big mercedes star.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts