Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300D
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber corners on my front and rear bumpers on my W123 are in bad shape and I was planning on taking some off of a junked car to replace mine. A few questions...

Can I remove the rubber corners (from front and back) without removing the entire bumper?

Also, if I do need to remove the rear bumper in it's entirety, do I need to have access to the trunk?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1985 300CD, 1985.5 Porsche 944, 1969 Triumph TR6, 1998 Land Rover Discovery I, 1992 Volvo 240
1,159 Posts
I just recently removed some off the front of a parts car and had to remove the metal bumper first. There are 3, I believe, 19mm nuts on each side. From there you can access the screws that mount the rubber guards.

·
Registered
W123 230
26 Posts
To get the front bumper off there are two 19mm nuts to remove which you access from below, which you can see to the left in the below image.

You can get the corner rubbers off without removing the brackets, but you will probably need to removed the brackets first to get them back on, I am a way off trying that yet!
There are two fixings on each bracket and you need access to the back via inside the wheel arch to hold the nuts.

The rear is similar, two 19mm nuts to remove the bumper accessible from the outside, but to remove the corner brackets there is a nut to access from inside the boot which requires you to remove the plastic bool liners from each side.

·
Registered
1981 300D
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I ended up completely removing both bumpers from the junked car to get all the rubber corner pieces. Removing the bumpers is easy, in theory, but... literally every bolt and fender/panel was rusted to death so it end up being somewhat of a pain in the ass. I had to break a handful of the bolts just to get the bumpers off. Still worth it because all the rubber parts were still way better than the ones on my car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts