Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one... from a reasonably handy and well equipped home mechanic...BUT...new to the rear self levelling setup on a '78 estate. The system is partly dismantled, and the car has failed the inspection for deficiencies in the rear suspension... and it sits too low. Can I bin the whole thing and fit standard shock and springs setup, and also I can't figure out how to get the whole shock assembly out.... a tiny allen socket in a big disc inside car, and when I undo the flange at bottom of shock mount it seems to have a balljoint ...shall I split that to get the assembly off? no manual I'm afraid!!! help....??? surely I don't have to demount the whole rear sub frame just to get to a shocker.....Thanks in expectation

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
I cant help you off the top of my head any as I don't know much about the self leveling system but here is a page which cover's the manuals for both the regular and hydraulic w123 systems. Start reading maybe the answer you seek is there.

32 Suspension

·
Registered
1980 280te 1979 Rabbit D 1969 Triumph T100C
1,406 Posts
a subject that has certainly never been discussed here before!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
problem solved...!

Hi again ...Thanks for the manual page cheapold, and anyone interested go to MercedesForum.com where I also posted the same query and got the solution (under W123..... forum (unclejonboy) ) Anyone interested in a thorough runthrough let me know...UJB

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
You want to stick with the SLS. Nobody has ever been happy with a conversion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You want to stick with the SLS. Nobody has ever been happy with a conversion.
I guess it's who you talk to... I can see problems with the headlights shining into the stars with a load in the back but as a complete refurb of the SLS and there were bits missing when I bought the car, is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!, and there aren't enough of the old girls around to get breakers yard bits where I live, for the moment the conversion is the only option for now... Ive been running an 84 same model for the last four years which has now become the donor for the new (!) 1978 model and never had any problems with the fact that the SLS was disabled (same story bits missing no compressor etc. ) Another Merc I had, a saloon had no sls and the vacuum driven headlight adjustmeent for loads... that would be easier to find and retro-fit as there must be a million of these here in Portugal, it's just the estate/wagon version that's rare.
Isn't this fun..!!! more skinned knuckles and stories to tell..keep in touch with any tips I'll let youall know how its going UJB

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
I guess it's who you talk to... I can see problems with the headlights shining into the stars with a load in the back but as a complete refurb of the SLS and there were bits missing when I bought the car, is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!, and there aren't enough of the old girls around to get breakers yard bits where I live, for the moment the conversion is the only option for now... Ive been running an 84 same model for the last four years which has now become the donor for the new (!) 1978 model and never had any problems with the fact that the SLS was disabled (same story bits missing no compressor etc. ) Another Merc I had, a saloon had no sls and the vacuum driven headlight adjustmeent for loads... that would be easier to find and retro-fit as there must be a million of these here in Portugal, it's just the estate/wagon version that's rare.
Isn't this fun..!!! more skinned knuckles and stories to tell..keep in touch with any tips I'll let youall know how its going UJB
Someone used an electric hydraulic pump with great success. I think the main complaints were crappy ride, especially when cornering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi with an update... just fitted a new pair of monroe shocks from the catalogue fits all 123s apparently.... easy job 3/4 hour significant improvement.. back on the road the most important thing... will look out for all the gear to re-install the SLS in the future, hunting the scrappers is part of the fun...Thanx for the tips any one want adetailed breakdown of the conversion let me know and I'll post it... UJB

·
Registered
-88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
898 Posts
Where can you find non-sls shocks for the estate?? They are shorter than the sedean/coupe version..
In think the sls system is one these cars best features..
expensive but very very long lasting.. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
123 estate suspension update...

Hi MBKomfort... Follow my thread in the MercedesForum.com site I mentioned above... but anyway.. I fitted Monroe part no. 53005 to fit all 123 sedans and they needed compressing 50mm or so into place. Unlike some shocks they are charged, that is if you compress them and let go they return to full length like a tailgate gas strut. This helped a bit in adding a bit of lift...as the vehicle inspection here found I was too low at the back, we even thought the springs might be weak or broken, but with the new Monroes fitted it passed the inspection yesterday... I agree the SLS is good but with both station wagons I have, the pump and reservoirs were missing or no good and the shocks were no good as well. The cheapest alternative was the regular shock installation which cost 120€ pair.
Incidentally this thread is about a 1978 240TD with 1,240,000 kms, and my other (sadly only a donor vehicle due to terminal rust and generally poor bodywork) is a 1984 with nearly 800,000 kms . both original engines....UJB

·
Registered
-88 250D, -93 280TE-24 Sportline and -00 E270T CDI
898 Posts
On the Merc's in my family Monroe "Gas-matic" front shocks did not work, they came with a guarantee, but after a couple of changes we got tired and got the real stuff. Both Sachs and Bilstein are mutch better.. I think your Monroe rear shocks won't last long.., and new sls-shocks would probably last the rest of the cars life :)
It does cost some work and money to maintain and service such high mileage cars as the 123series Merc's.
I say again: if you think S123 sls-shocks are expensive, ask the prize on the S124 ones!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts