Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member but longtime lurker with my 2nd w123. Recently got a 77 300d n/a for a backup car. Didn't pay much for it but knew it would need some work. Replaced rear shocks without issue, but when I lowered the car back down this is what I was greeted with on both sides:
IMG_20191010_081730.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on why the shock would extend past the mounting point? Old shocks were totally busted and seemingly riding on the springs. So are the springs also suspect now? Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
JD

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
348 Posts
There should be another bushing and washer underneath to prevent the shaft from sliding through perhaps you missed the washe or the if it's on maybe the hole in the washer is to big.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your help Kev D -- It was indeed missing the lower bushing! New ones were included, in bunched-up brown paper that I mistook for packing material .. Once you pointed that out I figured it out in no time .. 30 mins later and it drives great .. The shock just had no contact with the car! Haven't been driving it as much with winter setting in ...

·
Registered
1979 300D - 108k miles/ 2014 E250
217 Posts
Just replaced my shocks a couple weeks ago on my 1979 300D. They were original.. installed Bilstein Comforts and I swear the car sits an inch or two higher now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts