Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am having an issue with my '84 280E, and it is one of the last issues to be fixed. Since I got the car over a year ago, whenever I turn the heat on I could smell coolant. I could never figure out where it was coming from. My dad and I stood outside for an hour one day and tried to figure it out. My 280E has manual air/heat controls. Well, today I finally found the problem. I traced the leak to the valve controls the temperature of the air. It has two hoses that go to the heater core inside the car and a hose that goes to the radiator. When you change the temperature inside the car, by turning the temperature knobs, the valves move by the wires attached to it. Well, this air/heat control valve is leaking and I need to know either how to repair it or where to buy a new one. I searched all over AutohausAZ, which is where I usually buy all of my parts, and couldn't find it. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. I will post pictures tomorrow if no one has any clue of what I just described haha.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly! How did you find that? Did you search under another year or model? I have been searching '81 280E, because for some reason there is no such thing as an '84 280E haha. I appreciate it though. That will help me out a lot.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The "problem" is that most luxury models in the USA don't have manual controls of the heater, so you have to look under the 240D for anything manual.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "problem" is that most luxury models in the USA don't have manual controls of the heater, so you have to look under the 240D for anything manual.
Wow thank you! I guess I should have thought about that earlier when the guy that gave me the car told me it was a grey market car.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick question about the 240D search. Does the 240D have the same transmission as my 280E, a 4 speed manual? If so then would I be able to order the clutch disc and housing from the 240D page and have it fit the 280E? I have been trying to look for a clutch kit for my car also and AutohausAZ didn't have it for the 280E but I see they have it for the 240D.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The 240D had the Getrag four-speed after 1980, the 280E always had the ZF four-speed. The clutch disc and pressure plate for the 240D has different numbers from the one for the 280E in the EPC.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes Benz 280E
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 240D had the Getrag four-speed after 1980, the 280E always had the ZF four-speed. The clutch disc and pressure plate for the 240D has different numbers from the one for the 280E in the EPC.
Alright thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts