Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 230 E (sold) , 1991 600 SEL (sold) , 1993 300 SE (sold)
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a proud owner of w123 230e made in 1982, I think it is the most beautifull car ever created. I live in europe, so naturally it has manual gearbox, only 4 speed's though[:(. I love driving it, its a great escape from everyday life, perfection and relaxation[:)]. I have a question for everybody, dont you think that crysler 300c looks kinda same as w123? any oppinions and information?

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1182169&posts=11&hl=300c

we have talked about this a bit...
jake

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
if you want to compare any car to any car. its easy. they(for the most part) are 3-box designs sitting on 4 circles. they all look the same=)

lets compare the 300c to the k-Cars.

mercedes benz cars are nice. they are well built, handsome machines. they even used to be reliable(from what i hear theyre only moderately so now) but everything in the current automotive world is a copy of a copy of a copy. naturally, by doing this you are going to get diluted genes.

i dont think the 300 looks like a w123. the rear is different. the grille is large, yes. but a large grille is not a w123 exclusive. nor are square+round headlights. the greenhouse glass is completly different as well. the 300s being squat and aggressive, the w123s being tall and airy(i hate that word)

i think its great that the drawings on the link had to be not-to scale for them to match up. in automotive design, scale is everything! with thinking like that, you could successfully compare a dodge aries to a w126! theyre both square, they both have squared grilles with square dual headlights next to them, they both have squared roofs and windows, not to mention square taillights. wow! chrysler mustve dissected a w123/126 to make all of their cars, eh?

to close all this silliness, i dont think many modern cars have genuine designs anymore. people used to adapt to the companies designs and now it is the companies designing cars to make people comfortable. its a shame, too.

cars used to be art. now theyre thomas kinkade prints.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
in car design, proportion is king

I only said that one can see allot of our w123 in the 300c...of course cars today are different than the pre war era - they also serve a much different purpose too...

but again I was just saying that I get a similar feeling of design when I look at them....then again maybe just because I always look at mine with its body kit, lowered stance and the 17" wheels...I dunno....

Jake

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
its understandable, the cars do favor a bit. but i dont think chrysler did a cut/paste job either.

the 300c is a dramatic turn for chrysler, it is higher quality both driving and materials/craftsmanship-wise than the LH cars it replaces. it has been a success for them!

i dont feel as though it has been made by piggybacking on past mercedes-benz design, though.

i dont think it is as much of a copy of previous models as the pt cruser! those poor things (and the chevrolet clone of them) are blatant rip-offs of past cars. this new mustang is also in that crop, the thunderbird as well. this is not to say these arent good looking cars, cars today have to be good looking or they wont sell. its a fine line, though. because, if a car is too good looking and/or so good looking it can be mistaken for ugly(i think the 300 fits in here a bit, and the pt) then they wont sell either!

i wish more companies would make good looking cars again, most cars these days are an exercise in blandness and a mishmash of corporate parts and "styling cues" from the previous generation.

looked at a honda lately?

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
NO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts