Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My issue is pretty straight forward. I just bought a 1982 300 TDT and there are a few small problems. The turn signals were not working because the hazard flasher switch had to be replaced. Also the dash lights were not working and the fog lights were busted up and needed to be replace. Also the horn was not working. I managed to repair everything with the help of internet sites like this but I can't seem to figure out where to start with the horn. Should I take off the steering wheel cover first or go under the dash on by the steering wheel column? What could be the possible causes? It's not the fuse as I replaced those with a new mercedes fuse kit. Unless, of course, if there is another fuse somewhere. Is there a relay that I should be looking for?

HELP!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The horn is not relayed, FYI.

The horn pad should be switched (live) when the ignition is on. Make sure you're testing it with the key in position 2 (or engine running).

If not, then it could simply be bad connection to the horns, or the horns themselves are bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you mean "the horn pad should be switched"? Do you mean I should switch a part called the "horn pad" while the car is running? Or should I just test the horn while its running?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just because I have definitely tested the horn while the car is running. Where is the horn itself located?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Just because I have definitely tested the horn while the car is running. Where is the horn itself located?
The horns are located under the chassis rails, slightly forward and inboard of the front wheels, underneath the car. There are two horns, one is high tone and the other is low tone. They both sound when the horn is activated.

The horn switch (horn pad) is non-functional when the vehicle is off or key is in position 0 or 1 unlike Japanese cars where you can activate the horns any time. The switch becomes active (if you press it, the horn sounds) when key is in position 2 or engine is running.

If you find the horns, apply 12V to them and if they sound, then it's most likely either the connections or the horn pad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts