Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my suspension for rough roads and a heavier load.

A local spring manufacturer can make me the springs, but I need spring rates and lengths.

Is there any info available anywhere on W123 spring rates and lengths, even if it's only the specs of the standard springs, then we can calculate it from there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Don't do it.

You'll ruin the ride, force the fuselage to handle more of the shock the suspension is supposed to absorb and, despite their reputable toughness, EVERY W123 I've seen carrying a load or towing a trailer had sagged suspension. And I don't mean springs, I mean control arms.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Mr PC,

You seem to be the voice of experience!

Dave

·
Registered
6,561 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Nice link Army, thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
You seem to be the voice of experience!
I am amazed at the amount of almost pristine W123s just appearing in the hands of US owners. Everyday for the past 15 or so years that I've had a soft spot for the W123s, I've seen examples travel on our roads that would surely have been crushed and melted up in other countries. And it breaks my heart to see that these poor cars having to prove just tough they (and how ignorant their owners) are, rather than being retired gracefully.

Donkey is my first W123, and the only other car I've had for a while was another W123, which donated its engine to Donkey, but I've grown up among W123s. My father had no less than 3.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Whenever you change spring rates, you also need match shock valve damping rates too. At least that applies to race cars, but surely must have some appliation even to w123s. higher spring rates combned wuth say bilsteins hds would surely cause issies to suspension components lnger term. I actually posted a link about my experimentation with cheap coil boosters but my car has original springs and possibky 15 yr old shocks- not HDs. So far the ride is more stable on turns and at over 80 mph speeds on highway. However, i see the use of these boosters as short term and in a few months will purchase new springs and shocks for me to install myself.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
MB had a taller spring for rough roads as a stock option for w123 wagons. It made the wagon look as if it were a four wheel drive, but it was just higher than the normal suspension. Here is one that was fitted with other springs which are similar:
Mercedes W123 Expedition 300TD
My "Saharagelber" 300TD
Tamerlane's Thoughts: The Globetrekking Mercedes W123 300TD
Ironically, many other threads are dedicated to lowering their W123s, and you are trying to lift a W123.

So glad mine is stock.:D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Ironically, many other threads are dedicated to lowering their W123s, and you are trying to lift a W123.

So glad mine is stock.:D
It would seem like it would have to be that way or close to it because of the IRS. Unless the pumkin is kept in the same relative perspective!

I'm keeping mine stock as well!

Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
Plane Crazy since you brought up the topic of abuse I will go ahead and tell my intentions with my 240d. I took my merc. on a hunting trip in Michigan recently and found some bumpy gravel roads that the merc. handled ok. I took it slow since I do not yet know how much abuse these cars can take even though they eat up the bumps nicely. When I arrived at the public hunting land there was only an offroad two track trail so I had to ride the edge to avoid getting high centered and making the dent in my oil pan larger. (no, it was there when I bought it!) I was thinking stiffer springs , a skid plate, brush bar , off road lights and of course FWD would all be very nice to have for trips like this. For me FWD is not in the future for my car unless your 4x4 project merc. goes very well. I will be considering the other mods since they may help my merc. stay in once piece. I would like to prevent the springs from fully compressing on bumps and also prevent the car from bottoming out hard if there are any whoops in the road. Possible future uses for my $500 rusty but trusty: dirt road Rally racing (would have to add a turbo) , enduro derby (similar to a demolition derby but its a race) I'm sorry p.c. retiring gracefully is not in the cards for this old merc. they are too tough and they seem to live 4 lifetimes before they are scrapped. :)

I know it would have a rougher ride but would there be some benefit in handling of bumpy dirt or gravel roads?

Yes I brought back a deer in the trunk.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
OK, my AWD concept is more akin to Audi Quattro than G-wagen, it's about traction in the mud/wet. Without affecting the existing suspension settings.

Secondly, what you need are taller, softer springs to increase ground clearance and absorbtion ability; racers use stiffer springs on silky smooth tracks. Rally cars use incredibly long, soft springs to increase the response time, combined with a high sprung mass/unsprung mass ratio. Handling also depends on yor shock dampers - which is why I fit shocks used on one-tonner pickups. Increased cornering can be accomplished by stiffer anti-roll bars, another one of my dream concepts.

I'm surprised you have to fit a skid plate; ours all came with skid plates as standard.

Oh, and I enjoy speed, don't get me wrong, but anything that leads to a car being destroyed deliberately isn't racing. It's carnage. And if you happened to buy Donkey from me (not that she'd ever be for sale), it would be murder. Twice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good ground clearance for off roading with those 24s! The yellow monster merc. is sweet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts