Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been "stalking" the doner car for 5 months and it finally hit the yard. I spent a fair amount of time with it. The car is a 1983 230 E. If anyone needs anything from it, let me know. It has a cloth green interior, front headrests only, manual windows. Exterior is metallic green (not dark).

So I have the front and rear one-piece bumpers with the associated rubber side pieces. The rear bumper has a small dent, not too bad. I thought the front bumper was perfect but when I got it home I realized that it had been pushed up in the center on the underside. Not visible from the top. The rubber on the bumpers is good.

The hitch is wonderful. It is an engineering masterpiece that Mercedes designed this the way it is designed. The style of the hitch is as shown in the attached jpg, except the ball assembly itself does unbolt from the cross piece. I also have the electrical connections that tie into the existing tail light plugs. The electrical receptacle for the trailer lights is not in the best condition. Everything else related to the hitch is fantastic.

Local pickup would be great. Selling it all as a package would be great. But I suspect that there will be lots of interest in the hitch and less interest in the bumpers. And I suspect I'll be shipping to whoever wants this the most.

Pictures of hitch can be seen at:
http://photobucket.com/W123TrailerHitch
or for slideshow:
http://s828.photobucket.com/albums/...W123 Sedan Trailer Hitch/?albumview=slideshow

Price for hitch: I'm offering the hitch assembly with the electrical as shown for $300 plus shipping from 91001, estimate the weight to be 50 pounds. I'm also putting it on ebay for $400...

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
Pm sent. hitch

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott, was this the 230E you mentioned to me a few months back?
Yes. I have had my eye on this car for months. Through persistence and spying I managed to be at the pick-a-part when they placed the car (and each day prior for a few days).

Euro question: I see that the right power mirror is convex (objects in mirror are closer than they appear, but it doesn't have the text that says that unlike the US mirror) so I have that. Is the interior rearview mirror any different?

Another euro question: I noticed that one of the front amber corners was darker than the other so I assumed it to be one euro corner and one US corner. So I got it. On closer examination, it seems to be US, but definitely a darker amber than others that I have seen. Maybe it is newer?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Euro question: I see that the right power mirror is convex (objects in mirror are closer than they appear, but it doesn't have the text that says that unlike the US mirror) so I have that. Is the interior rearview mirror any different?

Another euro question: I noticed that one of the front amber corners was darker than the other so I assumed it to be one euro corner and one US corner. So I got it. On closer examination, it seems to be US, but definitely a darker amber than others that I have seen. Maybe it is newer?
The passenger side mirror isn't a euro thing. Both my 82's have the same mirror. Don't need that warning since cars are farther away than they appear.

Corners can fade. Should have an E1 stamped on the plastic and no reflector if euro. Which side? I need one to complete a set.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The passenger side mirror isn't a euro thing. Both my 82's have the same mirror. Don't need that warning since cars are farther away than they appear.

Corners can fade. Should have an E1 stamped on the plastic and no reflector if euro. Which side? I need one to complete a set.
I beg to differ. My understanding is that until around 82 the passenger side mirror was flat and provided no wide-angle effect, and when they switched, US mirrors were labeled "objects in mirror are closer than they appear (in the mirror)" The cars are NOT farther than they appear. They are closer.

The corner doesn't have E1, I looked for that. It also said US on the backside and it has a reflector. But it is so much more amber. It's left, I'll probably put it on my wagon...

Scott

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Is the interior rearview mirror any different?
Only the coupe version (in the W123 line up anyway) has a wider mirror, by a few mm's.

I also got your email regarding which parts go where, but I honestly don't know what goes to the hitch since I've never acquired one myself.

The Euro bumper, depending on the mounting bracket, will have 2 or 4 17mm mounting bolts.

The older style probably only has 2 mounting bolts, 1 per side.

The later style bumper mount (T shaped rather than Z shaped) will have 4 total, 2 per side.

The rest *should* be from the hitch.

·
Registered
1991 300zx 2+2 @ 129k Miles.
194 Posts
let me know if you have good rear passenger floorboards, AND if you can cut it out totally.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I beg to differ. My understanding is that until around 82 the passenger side mirror was flat and provided no wide-angle effect, and when they switched, US mirrors were labeled "objects in mirror are closer than they appear (in the mirror)" The cars are NOT farther than they appear. They are closer

The corner doesn't have E1, I looked for that. It also said US on the backside and it has a reflector. But it is so much more amber. It's left, I'll probably put it on my wagon...

Scott
I think I might've read too quick. My mirrors are flat and do not have the "objects are closer than they appear" warning. They don't provide a wide-angle image, rather a magnified image that actually gives a "narrow-angle" view of the roadway. Since the mirror image is magnified, images are actually a little bit farther away than what you see in the mirror. So, no "objects are closer...." warning. Never seen a convex or wide-angle mirror in person and don't know if those are euro or ???

Still, it sounds like the warning was for 83 onward.

Those corners either fade or the color changed slightly over the production run. I don't know for sure. I do know that I replaced a set (both non-euro) a while back and the difference between the two sets was as different as yellow vs. orange.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
let me know if you have good rear passenger floorboards, AND if you can cut it out totally.

Thanks again
cut it out = Sawzall around the edges? Can't do that at the junkyard. No generator. Although I would think that would be easy to get from a Mercedes dismantler.

·
Registered
1985 300CD
52 Posts
Hey Scott, still interested in that hitch. Shoot me a pm or an email? Did you decide on a price?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I think I might've read too quick. My mirrors are flat and do not have the "objects are closer than they appear" warning. They don't provide a wide-angle image, rather a magnified image that actually gives a "narrow-angle" view of the roadway. Since the mirror image is magnified, images are actually a little bit farther away than what you see in the mirror. So, no "objects are closer...." warning. Never seen a convex or wide-angle mirror in person and don't know if those are euro or ???

Still, it sounds like the warning was for 83 onward.

Those corners either fade or the color changed slightly over the production run. I don't know for sure. I do know that I replaced a set (both non-euro) a while back and the difference between the two sets was as different as yellow vs. orange.
When I requested a convex mirror years ago, a member sent me a manual adjust convex mirror. The manual adjust mirror was available pre-82. In 83 electric passenger mirror was standard on the W123.

I did not need it so I sold it to another member for the same price I got it for, and found two or three electric adjust convex passenger mirrors at the yard and put the best one in the car.

All electric adjust passenger convex mirrors I got were from US version W123's. I don't know if the manual adjust version came from a European car. But suffice to say this was not limited to the European market.

The standard mirrors on the car are just flat mirrors. They're 1:1 when you look into them, they don't magnify the image.

There were several versions of the tow hitch, more info on the W123 section.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All electric adjust passenger convex mirrors I got were from US version W123's. I don't know if the manual adjust version came from a European car. But suffice to say this was not limited to the European market.
The convex mirror that I obtained from the 1983 230 E is electric and lookes exactly like the mirror in your photograph except it doesn't have the "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The standard mirrors on the car are just flat mirrors. They're 1:1 when you look into them, they don't magnify the image.
I wonder what I have...Also like to see a photo of these convex mirrors as well as the image they reflect.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder what I have...Also like to see a photo of these convex mirrors as well as the image they reflect.
If you have a US car and the right mirror doesn't say "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" you have a flat mirror. Appearantly the convex mirrors for the non-US market don't have to be labeled that way. In the US, convex passenger side mirrors started in 1983 or 1984 for W123 cars.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If you have a US car and the right mirror doesn't say "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" you have a flat mirror. Appearantly the convex mirrors for the non-US market don't have to be labeled that way. In the US, convex passenger side mirrors started in 1983 or 1984 for W123 cars.
So its the convex mirrors that cause images to be "closer than they appear"? And therefore the warning?

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So its the convex mirrors that cause images to be "closer than they appear"?
Yes. If a mirror is convex it will be "wide angle" and give the effect of more objects being farther away. The extreme version of this is a convex mirror at a blind intersection, or in a quiki-mart for the shop keeper to be able to glance up and see most of the shop in the mirror. It is more subtle in a car mirror. But if you take a straight edge about 6" long, you will see that you can rock it on a convex mirror and it sits flat on a flat mirror.
And therefore the warning?
No, the warning is because US DOT says that US drivers need to be warned that things are closer than they appear. It seems that German drivers do not need to be warned, so the same convex mirror has no warning on a German spec car. At least it didn't in 1983...

But back to the original thread!!!! Buy my Trailer Hitch!!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
But back to the original thread!!!! Buy my Trailer Hitch!!!
Thanks for clarifying. I'd buy your hitch in a second if it were for an estate. Not much practical reason for a hitch on my 240D...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.