Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a n00b looking to have the idea of w123 engine swaps entertained. I want a mercedes of this era, not quite sure what yet. There's one online I'm looking at now, 1981 300D, but owner says the engine is toast and would need to be replaced. He thinks it threw a rod because theres a "1 inch hole in the bottom of the engine".

So I'm wondering what sort of engine swaps people have done or are doing. I think it'd be cool to swap a new 3L I6 turbo diesel in, but I have not clue what the limitations are of that. I know it might be a crazy idea, and I looked briefly around the internet and couldn't find anything like that, so thought I'd just come out and ask it. I'm not some dumb kid who knows nothing about cars, I just know very little about the Mercedes world (currently into the VW/Audi scene, new and old).

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Get an engine from an '82-'85 300D/TD/CD/SD as they are all turbo charged. It's a direct swap with a non-turbo for the most part.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The engine swaps are limited only by your imagination and capability. You can put a small block Chevy V8 in there, if you wanted. It would be silly, but it can be done.

As mentioned, the best update would be a turbo 617 engine, but also go for an 82+ auto trans, they're better. If the engine failed in the 81, the transmission was likely maintained even LESS than the engine. These diesel engines don't typically fail, they wear out, and usually not until there is at least a 3 as the first number in the odometer, sometimes they even last longer than that. I took the running engine out of my 81 300D with around 330K miles on it and passed it on to someone who is currently using it now.

Check the car out thoroughly. I'm fantasizing about getting another coupe and putting a Ford 2.3 turbo with a 5 speed in it. Not a nice one. I think nice MB's should be preserved and or restored.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just wondering if there's an common engine swaps, besides stock engines, that are "correct" that people do. I'm from the VW world where people put VR6s and 1.8ts even just 2.0s in older rabbits all the time, and swapping out VW bus engines for type 4 engines, porches 6 cyls, and subaru SVX engines (all boxer motors).

So, I know anything can be done, but I'd like it to be either a "MB could have done that" engine or putting a more modern MB engine in an older car.

The car is 4+ hours away, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before. Owner isn't exactly sure what even happened, going to try and get pictures before making my own conclusions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This time two years ago, I was a frequent visitor of the Scirocco Forums over on the vortex. Every weekend someone is dropping in a 1.8t or 2.0t. It's not quite as common over here. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M103, M104, OM603, OM606, M117, and chevy/ford small blocks have all been done before.

I'd like to LSX swap a wagon.
The OM603 and 606 sound like they'd be interesting. I'll have to look into those.

This time two years ago, I was a frequent visitor of the Scirocco Forums over on the vortex. Every weekend someone is dropping in a 1.8t or 2.0t. It's not quite as common over here. :p
:thumbsup: Someone who knows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Ever considered a M111 230 Kompressor and 5-spd auto or 6-spd manual? The should fit straight onto the M102 mounts, IIRC. You'll have more power than the 280E, and better fuel economy than the M102 230E.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ever considered a M111 230 Kompressor and 5-spd auto or 6-spd manual? The should fit straight onto the M102 mounts, IIRC. You'll have more power than the 280E, and better fuel economy than the M102 230E.
If I were to do this, I'd like to keep it diesel.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hey, you asked...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ford 302
Chevy 350, LSX series
Toyota 2JZGTE

Honestly, when money comes, i want to put a 302 in my W123. I love my car but I miss speed, coming from Hondas, 3 series 6cyl BMW's i had in the past. I can totally see my car, vintage benz body and interior but power when you want it from 230-250 horse V8 with a/c and power steering, and the best thing no smog EVER

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would $500 for this car be a good deal? Seats and carpet are out of it (cleaning it and putting down sound deadening material). Paint is peeling on rear quarter (said had a dent repaired and that's why it's peeling there, not peeling where dent was but near it and exposing the old paint, to his knowledge that's the only place that's been repainted). Rear end needs some work as one of the axles started to come out. Needs a new engine (sounds like a rod went through the block). 150K miles on the car. To get it will cost me about $150 in gas to drive there and tow it back on a flat bed trailer.

So I'd be looking at $650 basically, and it'd need an engine and a patch of paint fixed (not a huge deal, I work at a dealership with a large body shop). Body has virtually no rust. Only rust I've seen in the pictures are very small spots at the jack points.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts