Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300zx 2+2 @ 129k Miles.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How close in size and dimensions are the w123 and w124 US spec bumpers?

reason I ask is that I cannot find any good leads on any W123 body kits. Not a one. 124 body kits are still made, and are within "acceptable" prices.

At least one member here has used a 124 body kit on a w123, and I msgd him 2 months ago, and gotten no response.

Anyone else try this? How similar are the 2 bodies really? A little bit of changes and shuffling is a-ok, but cutting out parts of a 2k$ body kit does not suit.

·
Registered
1991 300zx 2+2 @ 129k Miles.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep looking for W123 specific parts.
I mean no disrespect. I am not interested in preservation of the "classic" and unmodified appearance. My car was repainted in the early 90s, and will soon get it again. I was interested in the similarities between bumper sizes between generations of cars that are mechanically very similar.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
None taken. The W124 bumpers will not be bolt on to the W123.

We have both a W123 and W124, the similarities are very low.

W123 bumpers mount with separate pieces. W124 bumpers are ONE unit that mount to the chassis with chassis frame mounts and fender mounts.

W123 bumpers bolt on to the chassis. W124 bumpers are an "extension" of the body.

If you bolt on W124 bumpers to the W123 you will have to cut the front (and rear) fenders to accommodate the bumper covers (aprons).

Remember the W124 was designed to be lighter and a different generation from the W123. They used more plastics in the bumpers than steel (they still had reinforcements inside) so the plastics took the place of the front and rear air dams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts