Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TD Wagon from Scoot!
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new, and I have searched all evening for info about this problem but I cannot find anything about this.

I just purchased a 1985 300TD Wagon with 220,000 miles on it and she runs great! (From Scoot http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...excellent.html)

The original Becker Grand Prix radio was working just fine when I got it, and a couple of days later the front driver side speaker stopped working, but everything else was fine. I took the radio out to check the connection, and the speaker just seems to be dead. I plan to replace it with another OEM speaker. Now the radio only has sound when I turn the radio on while the car is off . When I turn the car on the radio display is on, but zero sound from the speakers. While the car is running, if I turn off the radio it comes right back on after about 3 seconds (still with no sound). I checked the fuses and they all seem fine. Why would it work fine when the car is off, then have no sound with the car on? Is it the ignition switch or the radio?:confused:

I am prepared to take my licks for my newbie errors. I pray that I will get some help. I am not lazy- I have not had this car even 1 week and I have already fixed 2 leaks (from AC and from firewall) and done several other maintenance things to her. I am excited to pick up where Scoot left off!:D

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
What model? W123 or W124?

I suspect the wiring got messed up on the light switch. If you move the wire to the correct terminal it should only play when the key is in the "Acc", "On" and "Start" position. The light switch is also the central power distribution switch, in case you're wondering what that has to do with the key position on the starter switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts