Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'83 240D Auto 67k; '83 240D Manual 97k; '83 240D Manual 198k; '83 240D Manual 340k; '81 300D; S420
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice on how to keep track of maintenance on 3 240Ds. I have one I gave away(still maintaining though), one I just got for a daily driver, and a nice one in the garage. I like having them but it's getting tougher to track them all and take care of them properly.

Right now I'm just writing down the services I complete but would like a better way to keep track of what I've done and what future services are coming up. I found the FSM 5k, 15k, and 30k services and a checklist some body put together on the MBCA forum:

A new W123 Maintenance Checklist | Mercedes-Benz Club of America

This is good but I'd really like a spreadsheet with the mileage on the top or side of the spreadsheet and the services on the other. This way I can see what has been done and what is coming up easily on one page. I could also make it specific to the mileage for each car so that when one of the cars hits an exact mileage or time interval I'll know what needs to be done and easily plan for parts to buy. Does anyone know of an existing one or an easy way to set one up?

While on the subject of maintenance I also have a few questions:

1. What are people doing for oil change intervals using Mobil 1 TDT?

2. What service intervals are being used for the manual transmission and rear differential?

3. I didn't find any recommended intervals for the timing chain stretch or replacement. Any recommendations?

4. I found a receipt for a 90,000 mile service from the previous owner. Was this the 3rd 30,000 mile service or something extra?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
2. It used to be 30,000 miles, but changing the oil of the rear diff and manual transmission was dropped from the service schedule. So you have to make your own decision to change it somewhere between 30,000 miles and never.

3. The timing chain stretch is a good indicator of when to replace the chain. Six degrees stretch is about the time to change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts