Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1985 300 CD Turbo-Diesel
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear windows stopped going down without a helping hand. I removed the drivers side regulator and bracket that pulls the window up and down and found the bracket bent. I straightened out the bracket and had a brace welded to stop the bending. I replaced the regulator with a new MB regulator same part number. When I put the window down, it only goes halfway down. Has anyone experienced this when working on the rear windows. I braced both brackets by wielding and even the passenger side that only had the wielded bracket repaired only goes down half way, with the old regulator on it. I bought replacement brackets and they look exactly like the brace wielded bracket except for the brace. The brace is not interfering with the window travel. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
One way to further observe and analyze the operation of the regulator assembly and motor is to operate the unit while it is de-installed.

My experience with the rear half windows on the CD is that the whole matter has a low tolerance for variation. A minorly bent assembly, misaligned window trim, a motor with wear, etc. will all contribute to sub-optimal operation. I approach delving into this area of the vehicle with great care and some trepidation because the margin for error is small.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
1,394 Posts
My coupe rear's are very slow but do fully retract. How big a job is getting to them and lubing everything up?

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
648 Posts
W123 Coupe Rear Side Windows

It's a problem since new, the revised lifts help but you really need to take all the tracks out and clean, jube and adjust everything perfectly and then they'll still usually begin binding up in a year or two.....

It's a big PIA fiddly detail job,I just keep the rear windows locked out .

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
648 Posts
? Did I miss something ? .

I thought the initial post was about read windows on W123 CDs......

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,640 Posts
On my first CD the right rear only went down half way. It turned out that one of the arms had been installed incorrectly. It's been about 20 years since I did that repair and I can't recall the details. If I remember correctly, it was obvious once I got in their and ran it up and down.

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
...Maybe they're dirty, I'll go clean them properly .

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sorry your reading comprehension is so bad gary, you must have dropped out early .

All my replies were directly and exactly connected to the intial post, maybe you just want to troll .

Mission accomplished .

·
Registered
1983 300CD
63 Posts
My coupe rear's are very slow but do fully retract. How big a job is getting to them and lubing everything up?
Removing the center area of the interior panel with a plastic pry tool is an option for instant access to the tracks. It saves you from removing the rear seat, removing the interior c-pillar panel, removing the armrest panel assembly, unplugging the power window switch, etc. and then re-installing. You can also go through removing everything in the back of the vehicle but it will only get you a tiny bit more access. Aside from avoiding the usual long process, your down time for having the back of the car out of commission is zero if that matters 5b.jpg . The drawback is you have exposed upholstery staples facing outward which you either work the panel back onto with a rubber mallet or remove the staples entirely and use a different fastening method, i.e. screws, velcro, double-sided tape, magnetic setup. I also think dry lube like PTFE could be better for reducing drag. Drag kills these mechanisms. The other theory for how everything can get warped so easily is these window motors don't have an automatic stop on them. They push hard and will keep on pushing as long as the switch is engaged. Ease off the switch quickly and lock out the rears if you have passengers.

·
Registered
648 Posts
ESPECIALLY use the lockouts ! .

My various teenaged Foster boys thought it amusing to lean fore er on the window buttons and repeatedly ruin the rear window lifts by over torquing them to scrap .

-Nate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts